Useful tools/accessories

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Antipodes

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
I'm not sure if this topic exists, but I'm interested in what you have found to be the most (sometimes surprisingly) useful tool or accessory you use in the apiary or workshop. I suppose the hive tool is just about top of the list (I use the J tool), but I've found the little stainless queen catcher very useful this year. In the workshop, the compressed air nail gun has been invaluable for frame making, and I was inspired to get one from what I read on this forum.

Photo shows the queen catcher a few minutes after I left it on a post... I had already released the queen!

Attachments

• P1050583 (2).JPG
    P1050583 (2).JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 143
I'm interested in what you have found to be the most (sometimes surprisingly) useful tool or accessory you use in the apiary or workshop.

As I get older, I am finding the headband magnifier comes in extremely useful - both in the apiary and around the house.

A plastic honey scraper for all of £4 speeds up processing honey no end. Together with a bucket holder invaluable in making the process more efficient.

Honey-scraper.jpg

I'm interested in what you have found to be the most (sometimes surprisingly) useful tool or accessory you use in the apiary or workshop.

As I get older, I am finding the headband magnifier comes in extremely useful - both in the apiary and around the house.

Now that sounds like a brilliant idea, why didn't I think of that (rhetorical) - I do get fed up with glasses of different types slipping about especially when veiled up.

To answer Antipodes - I find a piece of emery cloth invaluable at keeping the sharp edges of my hive tool in good order.

The headband magnifier is next on my wish list. What type have you got??

(In no particular order): Nail Gun, Ventilated Suit, Electric Extractor. All a bit pricey- but worth it!

Garden trolley was my biggest time saver last year.

2515028_image_1s.jpg

The headband magnifier is next on my wish list. What type have you got??

I actually have 2. The first is the OmiVisor which has a range of lenses that can be used. The other is a cheap chinese one (that has a very uncomfortable headband so I use it sparingly) that has a 4* & 10* lenses that can be flipped up when required.

That little curly hook thing that thorns sell for cleaning frames. It hooks wax and crap out of the smallest corners.
E

I recently bought a corner clamp and found that it makes eke production much easier.

My mate’s ladder when two hives swarmed the first good day after three weeks of heavy rain. 30 feet up a tree, not many people have a ladder that long.
Strictly speaking it’s not my tool, but it was most useful.

Courty

Magnifying glass, great for checking for eggs.... fits in pocket, does not need batteries... and I have even used it to light the smoker when lighter / matches* have been forgotten on a sunny day!

* probably will get a ban for mentioning them!!!

Chons da

A clump of leafy hedge to brush bees off frames..hate the bee brush as bees get stuck in and they get miffed

and over door hangers.. great thought for when grafting too

Magnifying glass, great for checking for eggs.... fits in pocket, does not need batteries... and I have even used it to light the smoker when lighter / matches* have been forgotten on a sunny day!

* probably will get a ban for mentioning them!!!

Chons da

For want of a better word's post reminded me of a situation I found myself in a few weeks back.

I use a magnifying glass regularly at the apiary. I had trouble finding it. I searched and searched for it and a feeling of dread came over me as it became more apparent that I had left it at one of my apiary sites. Oh no! A magnifying glass lying on the ground or on a pallet...the bright powerful midsummer sun...the concentrated beam of the sun on the tinder dry gum leaves. Total fire bans and extreme fire danger.

I tried to trace back my steps to work out at which site I had left it, I had been to nearly all of them. Probably the one 100ks away. I went to two closer sites desperately looking, the second in failing light with a torch. No luck. Early the next morning (in better light) it was a great relief to find it in the centre console of the car (even though I had rummaged through it the previous evening). I'm definitely going to tie it very securely onto the suit now!

I usually have a roll of aluminium foil...
Great for plugging up holes...reducing entrances...

Abelo's metal smoker box is well worth the price. It speeded up moving between apiaries for me last summer no end and removed the concern about having a hot smoker in the boot of the car or spending time cooling it down. Stopped the car smelling of smoker too.

25% magnification in the near section of my varifocals.

Makes seeing eggs much easier...

Latest posts

Back