Use by?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrB

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
i made up some 1:1 syrup about a week and a half ago, will it still be ok, i want to use it in a spray!

Can't give you an answer but can give you points to consider.

If you simply warmed the water to circa 35-40'C to dissolve then naturally occuring Yeast & Mould in sugar will survive and germinate. If you took the water to 85'C, dissolved and then cooled you have provided an effective loading reduction (including from the pan and utensils etc). The general Y&M 4 log reduction rule is 85'C/5 mins, but what with cooling you are fine.
Next consider cleanliness of storage vessel and exposure to Y&M when decanting.

I go to 85 and decant hot, effectively letting the syrup sterilise the storage container if I know I need to store it and get 2/3 weeks (at ambient) unopened but it makes diddly squat diff once in the feeder!

Can't give you an answer but can give you points to consider.

If you simply warmed the water to circa 35-40'C to dissolve then naturally occuring Yeast & Mould in sugar will survive and germinate. If you took the water to 85'C, dissolved and then cooled you have provided an effective loading reduction (including from the pan and utensils etc). The general Y&M 4 log reduction rule is 85'C/5 mins, but what with cooling you are fine.
Next consider cleanliness of storage vessel and exposure to Y&M when decanting.

I go to 85 and decant hot, effectively letting the syrup sterilise the storage container if I know I need to store it and get 2/3 weeks (at ambient) unopened but it makes diddly squat diff once in the feeder!

very well explained and yet concise answer, of benefit to many, no doubt!!
:)

I would say just bin it (and that is from a tight Yorkshire Man)

I assume we are only talking a small volume for a spray, so it will not break the bank to bin that and start a fresh when you realy need it.

Yes technicalits of temperature etc, but unless you did it realy well, it will have started to ferment and mould.

My cider has rocketed away with its fermentation in the last few days of warmth.

I would say just bin it (and that is from a tight Yorkshire Man)

With statements like that 'they' may not let you back over the border next time you go abroad, if nothing else you clearly need therapy!

Use the mark 1 nose test.

If it's fermenting you should be able to tell.

i made up some 1:1 syrup about a week and a half ago, will it still be ok, i want to use it in a spray!

Adding HBH to the syrup when you make it will resolve a lot of the fermentation/mould issues. It also is very useful in sprays as the smell tends to mask some of the bee phermones and can make them somewhat calmer.

Here in France the beekeeping supplies shop sells ready made syrup with an additive called "BeeVit" in it. They get it in autumn and it sits in their shop until sold, which could be weeks or months.

Could add just a touch of Thymol or vinegar to the syrup

John D

Latest posts

Back