USB microscope images wanted

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimbeekeeper

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
HI

I am wanting a couple of examples of images take using one of the approx. £50 USB microscopes, anyone got anything?

Thanks Baggy.

I am sure someone took some pictures using a USB scope of some everyday objects, I think one of them being a £5 or £10 note or simliar.

We are looking to buy a microscope for the Schools nataure center and I wanted to show that the USB will be fine for their needs (viewing pond bugs etc)

Jim, I'll post some at the weekend for you.

Baggy, the last picture has a pollen grain of Epilobium - Rosebay Willowherb

HI

I am wanting a couple of examples of images take using one of the approx. £50 USB microscopes, anyone got anything?

Jim,

I've got one tucked away, bit it's a bit of a pain to dig out. If you get really stuck though, give me a shout and I'll take some snaps for you.

Adam

Jim, I'll post some at the weekend for you.

thanks for the ident. thats from last years honey and was literally a drop of honey on a slide with a cover over the top.

Whole thing needs a good clean tho as the artifacts in the corners are in every pic.

Oh Yeh?

How do you come to that conclusion?
I would be interested to hear from you . thank you.

Mo (Bcrazy)

HI

Hi Jim,

I've put some into my album http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/album.php?albumid=183

The Digital Blue microscope I got from Amazon but it is not available at the moment [ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Digital-Blue-DB12011-Computer-Microscope/dp/B0002HLKI2/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1290289024&sr=8-16"]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Digital-Blue-DB12011-Computer-Microscope/dp/B0002HLKI2/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1290289024&sr=8-16[/ame]

The Digital Blue is a kids microscope.

The Lidl one is made by Bresser, a German manufacturer, and for my needs it is fine.

It's a bit difficult to come to a definitive conclusion as we do not know the magnification for a start!

Regards, RAB

Thanks Wilderness, the coin pictures are perfect to show how the microscope will do what we want it for, to justify buying it.

Hi wilderness
Thank you for your response, in al honesty the pollen grain could be any number of pollen grains that are similar in shape to Rosebay Willowherb, but untill you know the size of manification and the responding size of the grain shown it is a little presumptious to try to identify a single pollen grain, allough you could be correct in saying the type looks like so & so as the grain must be looked at in a deeper magnification to see if its hydrated or not?
You wilderness do have a good knowledge of pollen grains so please do not be put off by this silly old bugger and his comments.
Good luck

Mo.

its the 40x objective and the usb cam which i believe is about 10x. thats about it really.

im really interested in pollens so am keen to learn more.

Thanks Baggy.

I am sure someone took some pictures using a USB scope of some everyday objects, I think one of them being a £5 or £10 note or simliar.

We are looking to buy a microscope for the Schools nataure center and I wanted to show that the USB will be fine for their needs (viewing pond bugs etc)

Jim,

You might have been thinking of this thread:

http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6983

I bought the maplin version. It seems fine for "non-professional" use. My children love it.

Stephen

Jim, just seen your request. These three all taken with a USB hand held 20x and 400x micro (on x400). They are composite shots but show what can be achieved with little outlay (taken using a Veho discovery 400, plugged straight into my lap top, post-pro was photoshop). Regards, R

Last edited:
and while I am on a roll this is a x20 from the veho, non-compositite, again post-pro is photoshop. Am in Spain at mo, so I'm afraid that's all I have with me on my laptop.
There is no doubt that for £50 you can have a lot of fun and gain some great educational benefit. Good luck with it. R

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back