usa africanised honey bee video

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hedgerow pete

Queen Bee
Reaction score
UK, Birmingham, Sandwell. Pork scratching Bandit c
Hive Type
National
a friend of mine in the states has just uploaded this video about the ahb. its quite interesting, not that we have to worry about them over here. but if your into a interesting view its quite good

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHxT4DOv_Ng&feature=sub[/ame]

Interesting, but looked to be an 80s film. Having checked, Robert Danka is no longer a grad student, but in his late 40s/early 50s.

I wonder what the current situation is and how this work affected the africanisation in the US?

Didn't notice the 1985 on the youtube video thanks to being on my smaller laptop.

Still, does anyone know of any follow up programmes?

interesting post even though it is an old film. McCartney has posted some very good bee keeping related films and has a good website.

My opinion is that because Africanised honey bees are not really mentioned in the press then they never have so far become a large problem. compare it for instance about all the press that CCD gets.

My opinion is that because Africanised honey bees are not really mentioned in the press then they never have so far become a large problem. compare it for instance about all the press that CCD gets.
On the contrary they are a major and growing problem in the US. Particularly in the warmer states. Only last year, four people were hospitalised in California in the same incident. Oklahoma is reporting the presence of 'killer bees' in 32 counties, and the aothorities in Florida have released an extermination programme. True its not mentioned in the press here but a serious issue in the Southern and Western US. I lived in Texas until recently and it was commonly featured on local TV networks.

On the contrary they are a major and growing problem in the US. Particularly in the warmer states. Only last year, four people were hospitalised in California in the same incident. Oklahoma is reporting the presence of 'killer bees' in 32 counties, and the aothorities in Florida have released an extermination programme. True its not mentioned in the press here but a serious issue in the Southern and Western US. I lived in Texas until recently and it was commonly featured on local TV networks.

fair enough then, could be wrong.

an interesting article here though about bee keepers using AHB's in there colonies instead of european honey bees due to them being healthier and more productive. The article is three years old

"'Killer bees' seem resistant to disorder! By Dan Sorenson
Tucson, Arizona | Published: 03.30.2007

Although experts are stumped about what's causing the colony-collapse disorder die-off in U.S. commercial beehives, there is some speculation that Arizona's famed Africanized -- or "killer bee" -- wild-bee population is somehow immune. Dee Lusby's bees are doing fine."

full article click here

african bees, have a lot going for them.

they are very good at protecting thier hives from being robbed by other bees and wasps

they are very prolific breeders and are able to throw swarms almost monthly at times when they want to

the queens are very excellant layers

size wise they are an almost match to european bees. and are able to be used in a wooden man made hive as well as wild colonies

there are massive collectors of honey and necture but dont do much propolis works

they will inter breed with any other euroean bee breed.

they have a endless list of plus's and only two real draw backs

one because they over breed they are unable to survive a wintering period as they soon run out of stores and are mainly a hot weather sort of bee, there are no real seasons in the middle of africa

and when the sting sence is attivated they go off on one BIG STYLE

This bee has spread as far as it's going to in the southern states, as mentioned above there is a lot going for them and a lot of beeks are choosing to use them instead of the european counterparts. They are more of an issue with the general public due to the very high defence instinct although there is work ongoing to try and breed a quieter variety so that more beeks can use them.

Not many people consider these to be a major problem any more as, on the whole, they've become accepted. CCD is the big problem and until that is dealt with the problem of a more aggressive bee is insignificant by comparison.

Frith

Would make a great 'attack dog' for anyone trying to steal your hive, mind...

one because they over breed they are unable to survive a wintering period as they soon run out of stores and are mainly a hot weather sort of bee, there are no real seasons in the middle of africa

and when the sting sence is attivated they go off on one BIG STYLE

I would've said the two big problems are swarming and absconding. Particularly from a commercial perspective. If the food supply dwindles they have a tendency to wander off. In central america the beekeepers I have spoken to have to feed their bees (sugar and pollen substitutes) when there is little nectar/pollen around.

The hyper defensiveness you get at lower altitudes can be managed to a certain degree.

Latest posts

Back