Hang on what a plonker!

Last edited:

admin 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Thats the login screen for windows live in the above link?

Nellie 

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
posted elsewhere.....but proof of the damage of sprays methinks

http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0009754

regards

S
Proof also that a lot of the chemical Apiary treatments applied by the beekeeper hang around in the wax too.

The article Summary said:
Almost all comb and foundation wax samples (98%) were contaminated with up to 204 and 94 ppm, respectively, of fluvalinate and coumaphos
I'm no chemist, but last time I looked Fluvalinate is basically the active ingredient in Apistan. Which does seem to throw into doubt our local Guru's assertion that mite tolerance to Apistan and Bayvarol will lower soon in areas like ours. If it's in the Wax then it's also in the foundation which means presumably that even if you're not personally treating with Apistan that the Varroa in your colonies is still coming into contact with it which I guess, not being a scientist, could mean that tolerance to it is still possibly being maintained.

Somerford 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Wiltshire, Somerset, S Glos & S Oxfordshire
Hive Type
national
Nellie - I'd have to agree with you. Your summary is what the report hints at and it could be how varroa has managed to develop such resistance to fluvalinate over a short space of time.

I would suggest that your local 'Guru' could do well to read this report. I would also challenge him !!

regards

S

Nellie 

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I think the resistance issue is pretty straightforward but I'll certainly claim ignorance over whether Varroa "developed" resistance or simply that once you remove all the mites susceptable to Apistan/Bayvarol then you're simply left with mites that are not affected by it as your genetic pool.

if it's developed resistance then presumably even small amounts of fluvalinate in wax is very bad news.

I guess it needs someone smarter than me to offer an educated opinion about what the actual implications might be.

Latest posts