urgent advice needed

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

victorg

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
here is the story,
Im in Wales
On weekly inspection last weeek i noticed swarm cells on the bottomo of my frames.
Went to do an artificial sawrm.
Put old brood box in new location
Put new brood box in old location
Put queen and one frame of brood in old location. Kept my eye on her as i moved the frame and she vanished right at the very last moment. I presumed she was tucked away in a nook somewhere.

This week the plan was to move the new location to a newer location to milk off more of the flying bees.

but they had swarmed, and were sat in a tree.

So I loved in the new location brood box, it was still pretty full, 2 swarm cells, no queen to be seen
So I looked int he old location brood box, no queen there either, but emergency queen cells being formed.

As i was conducting the inspection I noticed the swarm int he tree getting smaller and the number of bees around me getting larger.

The original queen was clipped

JNow the swarm has vanished and it seems returned back to thr new location brood box.

this is what I think has happened:

As i was about to transfer the quen onto the old location new brood box, she may have dropepd off back into the old brood box in the new location. then swarmed, as she was clipped she dropped to the floor, the bees realised this and came back home. and all my artifical swarm really did was to essentially move the bees a few meters tot he side.

In the old location (new brood box) there are some bees and emergency queen cells, Do I just leave these to sort themselves out?

In the new location (old brood box) there seems to be 2 queen cells (im going to go and tripple check in a minuite).

Am i right in thinking if I knock off one of these, the bees will have a new queen, no cast swarms and settle down again?

Many thanks

my head is spinning and I need a drink

Am i right in thinking if I knock off one of these, the bees will have a new queen, no cast swarms and settle down again?

Many thanks

my head is spinning and I need a drink

The answer to the question is perhaps I say this with hesitation because I assume you dont know if the queen cell is occupied it has a slight chance that its empty.
When you inspect and notice an open queen cell and you can see inside and has a grub and royal jelly then select this one.

How about putting one of the queen cells in the hive with the emergency queencell (and removing the emergency ones of course). You will then have two chances of getting a good queen.

Latest posts

Back