Upto date book ??

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grub

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
3 14x12
Hi all
Reading through the couple of books I own:

Bees & Beekeeping Irmgard Diemer
Teach Yourself Beekeeping Frank Vernon
Beekeeping a Seasonal Guide Ron Brown

I know they are just so out of date but intresting to read , any one any sugestions ??

Appreciated

Grub

Just joking

Just imagine, you will always need something to light your smoker with and can't always rely on having a map handy :)

= = = stopped joking now = = =
Ted Hooper's, "Guide to Bees & Honey" from Northern Bee Books is considered to be the standard text and worth adding to your collection, reading and keeping close at hand for future reference.

It will also give you a contrast to what might be seriously outdated practices described in the much older books. That is not necessarily meant to decry them, but the knowledgebase has moved on and the environment has changed somewhat, particularly with the arrival of varroa destructor. An open mind and a willingness to adapt seem to be requisites.

Suggestion: stop reading them. End of problem!

I find Wedmore is the one I mostly refer to.

There is not that much that has changed. Just a few additions. Read the others once and then revert to the reference book.

Lots of stuff on the net regarding the changing topics, the latest rarely being found up-to-date in any book.

Regards, RAB

Just imagine, you will always need something to light your smoker with and can't always rely on having a map handy :)

= = = stopped joking now = = =
Ted Hooper's, "Guide to Bees & Honey" from Northern Bee Books is considered to be the standard text and worth adding to your collection, reading and keeping close at hand for future reference.

It will also give you a contrast to what might be seriously outdated practices described in the much older books. That is not necessarily meant to decry them, but the knowledgebase has moved on and the environment has changed somewhat, particularly with the arrival of varroa destructor. An open mind and a willingness to adapt seem to be requisites.
Thanks for this:cheers2:
Nothern Bee books Ted Hooper GBH book £13.99 pp extra
Amazon £5.92 it has been used and buying new its £7.62 pp free

Grub

Did you buy it Grub?
Thats about the best book you can own.

yes its floating down the Amazon as we speak LOL free pp as well bargain
And as sugested may use the old ones to fill up my smoker ( I dont think so) once I have everything ready I have'nt made my mind up yet Poly or Cedar but the poly option is winning at the moment and I have a lovely spot in the garden for them early sunshine from 7.00am till 1.00 then light shade rest of the day.

Grub

I have a lovely spot in the garden for them early sunshine from 7.00am till 1.00 then light shade rest of the day.

Grub

Sounds good,they will be out of bed nice and early.
Some of my hives dont get the full sun until around 11am,it suit's me as I can inspect mid afternoon when most of the hive are out shopping.

Dont spend to much until you are happy regards the Poly/Wood options.
Maybe try lifting the lid on both types of working hive before you buy if you can.

Latest posts

Back