Upstairs Downstairs entrance from BeespaceX

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erichalfbee

Super Moderator
Staff member
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Has anybody seen/tried these?
They are basically three holes in the side of the brood box with a baffle behind https://www.beespacex.com/

Attachments

• EB1515D6-AA6B-4BD5-A1D5-98CF47A0D794.jpeg
    EB1515D6-AA6B-4BD5-A1D5-98CF47A0D794.jpeg
    109.3 KB · Views: 165
  • E5B6483F-4ADD-418B-A402-E0D14041C9D2.jpeg
    E5B6483F-4ADD-418B-A402-E0D14041C9D2.jpeg
    67.1 KB · Views: 148
The link has plugs and ventilation plugs...i might be missing so..:spy:

No
The three holes in the brood box are entrances with a baffle at the back. The brood box sits on a solid floor with no entrance.
Just wondered if anybody had tried them.

Well I have an Abelo hive and I have a solid plug or a ventilated plug neither of which allow bees through.
No matter.

I have not used that system - what I do have is a long hive with just three similar sized holes as the entrance but no baffle. I did mount a baffle on the outside during the "beast from the east" because of the wind direction. Frames are mounted cold way. It does however have an OMF although that is closed overwinter. Bees seem to do fine.

My Top Bar Hive has similar entrances, on an omf but no baffle, a Champagne cork can be used to close if required.

Been sitting unused for four years.... any one want it ( for a small fee!)

Chons da

Well I have an Abelo hive and I have a solid plug or a ventilated plug neither of which allow bees through.
No matter.

No, they don't - but with the plugs removed they do allow the bees through! But, I agree, the hole in itself might be too large an opening for the bees to enable them to guard an upper entrance - particularly one filled with honey. So, I've cut out half of the ventilation plugs and use those as entrances. Attached. Both are propolised - the one was actively in use, and with the other the bees have decided they don't need it anymore.

Abelo ventilation plug.jpg

They are basically three holes in the side of the brood box with a baffle behind https://www.beespacex.com/
I am surprised there is not more interest in this thread about the upstairs/downstairs intrance. Having just discovered their website l am considering speculating a few pounds to see how one works. My specific interest is in baffling wasps. I am trying Millet's tunnel entrance this year - thank you for the plans Millet.

Had one hive decimated last year and have so far killed 14 queen wasps this year. I know, l know, l do hate doing it but if I've killed that many, how many more dozens are there just waiting their chance in the autumn?

Good luck to them and all, but isn't this just trying to solve a "problem" that doesn't actually exist? The hives that we have all been successfully using for years & years seem pretty good to me.

Good queens, good nutrition & good disease/parasite control = happy bees and beekeepers. Not sure the entrance type, or indeed hive type, is quite so important?

:iagree:
A strong colony is the key to fending off wasps.
Even a nuc can defend itself if it is stuffed with healthy bees.

Good luck to them and all, but isn't this just trying to solve a "problem" that doesn't actually exist? The hives that we have all been successfully using for years & years seem pretty good to me.

Good queens, good nutrition & good disease/parasite control = happy bees and beekeepers. Not sure the entrance type, or indeed hive type, is quite so important?
So that would be an argument for still using skeps to house bees, would it?

They are basically three holes in the side of the brood box with a baffle behind This page is about Filipe the beekeeper and inventor of about BeeSpace.XYZ | Bee

7737707C-FFCA-4EF6-B230-70F97DA142D2.jpeg
I have been testing the UD entrances for almost a year, I can confirm that the bees adapted to them practically overnight, the number of flights seems to be the same as before I installed the entrances.
The ability to close any or all entrances quickly, or have them as vents is advantageous when moving a hive or restricting entrance options for winter.
Having watched 2 of my colonies side by side one with UD entrances and the other with the standard wooden block, I found that the UD hive seemed to have a lot fewer intrusions by wasps, the bees ejected the wasps almost immediately.

The ability to close any or all entrances quickly, or have them as vents is advantageous when moving a hive or restricting entrance options for winter.

This is another interesting, but (I presume) controversial variation on beehive configuration which, for me, looks worthy of some thought. But I'll give the ventilation option a miss (this is not Portugal) and I'm unsure about going back to the solid floor now that the open-mesh floor seems almost universal.
I can see that there has been a previous debate on this thread as to the similarities between the expensive adaptors available to enable the "BeesSpace" and the freebie blocks/vent-grilles/holes/slots/entrances :unsure: which are provided with Abelo boxes.
With a teeny-tiny amount of action with a drill-bit through one of the removable Abelo bungs and by the creation of a simple baffle to fit inside the box, you could easily test Filipe Salbany's ideas with a reversible modification.

I like the idea of these entrances. Too mean to buy any but would try making something similar. You only need a sheet of plywood for the floor. BUT. . .

The piece you screw on the inside uses up the bee space if using 'cold way' frames. Don't the bees propolise the frames to the back of it?

. . .. . Ben

I have used these since I began bee keeping earlier this year, two hives both equipped with Intrances. Very, very few wasps as bees can defend the holes easily because of the back plate, no mice and no signs of moth wax either! Easy to block off one or more holes in wild weather or numbers of bees do not warrant two or three. I have not experienced bees propolising on to the plates. All good so far, I believe I made a good choice using them and putting my hives are on OMFs.

I have used these since I began bee keeping earlier this year, two hives both equipped with Intrances. Very, very few wasps as bees can defend the holes easily because of the back plate, no mice and no signs of wax moth either! Easy to block off one or more holes in wild weather or numbers of bees do not warrant two or three. I have not experienced bees propolising on to the plates. All good so far, I believe I made a good choice using them and putting my hives on OMFs.

Latest posts

Back