Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Seems someone is trying to copy Lyson/ Abelo ..:rolleyes:
How?
Abelo hives sit on a fairly standard floor with an entrance block. There are extra holes I agree but they are just holes?

Erichalfbee 

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
The link has plugs and ventilation plugs...i might be missing so..:spy:
No
The three holes in the brood box are entrances with a baffle at the back. The brood box sits on a solid floor with no entrance.
Just wondered if anybody had tried them.

Erichalfbee 

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Well I have an Abelo hive and I have a solid plug or a ventilated plug neither of which allow bees through.
No matter.

Murox 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
other
I have not used that system - what I do have is a long hive with just three similar sized holes as the entrance but no baffle. I did mount a baffle on the outside during the "beast from the east" because of the wind direction. Frames are mounted cold way. It does however have an OMF although that is closed overwinter. Bees seem to do fine.

Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Miriads
My Top Bar Hive has similar entrances, on an omf but no baffle, a Champagne cork can be used to close if required.

Been sitting unused for four years.... any one want it ( for a small fee!)

Chons da

Mellifera Crofter 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Well I have an Abelo hive and I have a solid plug or a ventilated plug neither of which allow bees through.
No matter.
No, they don't - but with the plugs removed they do allow the bees through! But, I agree, the hole in itself might be too large an opening for the bees to enable them to guard an upper entrance - particularly one filled with honey. So, I've cut out half of the ventilation plugs and use those as entrances. Attached. Both are propolised - the one was actively in use, and with the other the bees have decided they don't need it anymore.

Abelo ventilation plug.jpg

Reaction score
Hive Type
wbc
Number of Hives
Has anybody seen/tried these?
They are basically three holes in the side of the brood box with a baffle behind https://www.beespacex.com/
I am surprised there is not more interest in this thread about the upstairs/downstairs intrance. Having just discovered their website l am considering speculating a few pounds to see how one works. My specific interest is in baffling wasps. I am trying Millet's tunnel entrance this year - thank you for the plans Millet.

Had one hive decimated last year and have so far killed 14 queen wasps this year. I know, l know, l do hate doing it but if I've killed that many, how many more dozens are there just waiting their chance in the autumn?

Walrus 

Reaction score
Good luck to them and all, but isn't this just trying to solve a "problem" that doesn't actually exist? The hives that we have all been successfully using for years & years seem pretty good to me.

Good queens, good nutrition & good disease/parasite control = happy bees and beekeepers. Not sure the entrance type, or indeed hive type, is quite so important?

Erichalfbee 

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
:iagree:
A strong colony is the key to fending off wasps.
Even a nuc can defend itself if it is stuffed with healthy bees.

Reaction score
Hive Type
wbc
Number of Hives
Good luck to them and all, but isn't this just trying to solve a "problem" that doesn't actually exist? The hives that we have all been successfully using for years & years seem pretty good to me.

Good queens, good nutrition & good disease/parasite control = happy bees and beekeepers. Not sure the entrance type, or indeed hive type, is quite so important?
So that would be an argument for still using skeps to house bees, would it?

Latest posts