Up in yo Grill

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apricot Slice

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Working on another beehive model.
I call it Pipe on a Hive.
It's basically a pipe on a hive.
The idea is that the bees can only enter and exit from the top of a 9 foot pipe. That way, bees won't be getting up in your grill when in the garden.
Any thoughts?
See picture below.
Hive pipe.jpg

There are several of this style, installed in public places somewhere in France. I don't recall where.

You don't need a new hive to achieve your objective ... a mesh screen in front of the hive will get them up and flying above head height ....

There is a hive at a garden centre near me. it has 9 ft mesh around it. A beekeeper visits and inspects it on saturdays at 2pm with a microphone. The 9 ft mesh stops the public being bothered by the bees.
Been there for a few years now.

"You don't need a new hive to achieve your objective ... a mesh screen in front of the hive will get them up and flying above head height .."
It's pretty exposed and windy here so the hives have a 6' fence around for protection. By the time exiting bees reach the fence they are 10' plus up and away. Reverse true in good weather, however, in wind they stay down, often as low as knee height, until they pop up and over the fence. A great sight. They're nice bees and no bother though sometime they are not looking where they are going and bump into you.

The idea is that the bees can only enter and exit from the top of a 9 foot pipe. That way, bees won't be getting up in your grill when in the garden.
Any thoughts?
See picture below.
View attachment 24507
Are ladypeople allowed to keep bees too? :laughing-smiley-014:laughing-smiley-014:laughing-smiley-014

Are ladypeople allowed to keep bees too? :laughing-smiley-014:laughing-smiley-014:laughing-smiley-014
Of course not ... goodness ... women have only just been given the vote .. and in Australia I'm not even sure they are allowed to vote ...even though they have been given it ! Mind you... there's a few rebels out there bucking the trend and keeping bees !

Of course not ... goodness ... women have only just been given the vote .. and in Australia I'm not even sure they are allowed to vote ...even though they have been given it ! Mind you... there's a few rebels out there bucking the trend and keeping bees !
Rise up lady beekeepers and bee counted!!

Any thoughts?
See picture below.
View attachment 24507

Why would the bees bother to go all the way to the bottom of the pipe to get to the beehive. Surely your tube is the same as a chimney (depending on what it's made of), they will just build their nest further up and you won't be able to get the wax / honey out without a ladder. Also the entrance in the diagram at least is too big, but I assume that's just a product of the drawing?

Back