Unsure if hive is queenless - mated queen added.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sometimes they're laying in 4 days according to some.
And sometimes they're not. :)

As Murox said, too many variables to expect regular outcomes. I looked at a split yesterday after 3 weeks and though I saw no Q or eggs there was plenty of glazed pollen; that was good enough for me, so united a nuc to it with newspaper.

As bees do as the weather dictates,
and weather is local,
and even local weather has areas of hot spots and cold spots

Forecasting is based on averages which may not apply in extremes.

:eek:I write the above homily based on bitter experience.:eek:

And sometimes they're not. :)

As Murox said, too many variables to expect regular outcomes. I looked at a split yesterday after 3 weeks and though I saw no Q or eggs there was plenty of glazed pollen; that was good enough for me, so united a nuc to it with newspaper.

???

UPDATE! I went back into the hive yesterday and there were two emergency cells on the frame I have given them, I tore them down and then let the queen out of the queen cage and she walked quite happily into the hive with her tongue out, being fed and fussed by the workers. A success I think! Whoever said 2 days isn’t long enough to see emergency cells being built was correct. In hindsight I should have waited a few more days before sticking the cage in but thankfully everything g has turned out ok - will go back in a few days to check for eggs.

Latest posts

Back