Unsure if hive is queenless - mated queen added.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

daniblack13 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
none
Hello,

Any advice on the below situation is very welcome!

I put a swarm into a hive on the 16th of June, left them for 3 weeks - no eggs being laid but colony collecting lots of pollen and nectar.
Monday 7th June - put a frame of eggs from another hive in.
Wednesday 9th June - no emergency cells being made but no site of a queen or any eggs still.
Wednesday 9th June. - mated queen placed in hive in cage, bees did not seem hostile towards her.

What do you think my next steps should be? The lack of emergency cells makes me think there may be a queen in there but the numbers are small and I have spent a long time looking for her, plus no eggs. What will happen if there is an existing queen in there but I have now added a mated queen in a cage? How will I know if it's suitable to release her in a couple of days?

Many thanks in advance.

Dani

steve1958 

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
It's not easy spotting a virgin Queen in the hive.
However after she mates her body will grow in length and stand out more.

jeff33 

Drone Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
14 now...and still counting
2 days to look for emergency Qcs after introduction of frame is not enough..... I expect your mated queen will be killed on release as there is a virgin in there.

jenkinsbrynmair 

International Beekeeper of Mystery
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Too many - but not nearly enough
I expect your mated queen will be killed on release as there is a virgin in there.
You think she'll last that long? she's stuck in a cage and can't run away - good chance the VQ will get her through the bars.

Kaz 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
commercial
Number of Hives
Worth having a closer look at the frames? The bees know whether they have a queen and I usually check the place on the frames where the queen would lay first, if there is a queen the bees will have nicely cleaned and polished the rugby ball shape cluster of cells ready for laying. If they're queenless they don't bother and they'll just have stores there?

Mark Bleay 

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
Hello,

Any advice on the below situation is very welcome!

I put a swarm into a hive on the 16th of June, left them for 3 weeks - no eggs being laid but colony collecting lots of pollen and nectar.
Monday 7th June - put a frame of eggs from another hive in.
Wednesday 9th June - no emergency cells being made but no site of a queen or any eggs still.
Wednesday 9th June. - mated queen placed in hive in cage, bees did not seem hostile towards her.

What do you think my next steps should be? The lack of emergency cells makes me think there may be a queen in there but the numbers are small and I have spent a long time looking for her, plus no eggs. What will happen if there is an existing queen in there but I have now added a mated queen in a cage? How will I know if it's suitable to release her in a couple of days?

Many thanks in advance.

Dani
I would get her out quick. You already have a queen in there she just has not hot going yet. Your new queen will probably get killed I'm sorry to say.

Erichalfbee 

Super Moderator
Staff member
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I would get her out quick. You already have a queen in there she just has not hot going yet. Your new queen will probably get killed I'm sorry to say.
That’s what most of the replies say.

madasafish 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
langstroth
Number of Hives
6 to 8 Langstroth jumbos, a few Langstroth and National nucs.
" I put a swarm into a hive on the 16th of June, left them for 3 weeks - no eggs being laid but colony collecting lots of pollen and nectar. "

Time travel!

robmort 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
If your swarm came in with a virgin just over 3 weeks is optimistic for her to be laying just yet.
That's not optimistic, it's pessimistic. Sometimes they're laying in 4 days according to some.

robmort 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
That was my opinion but not according to one poster.....

If the weather's good, mating can be very quick. I looked at a cast after 4 and there was half a sheet of eggs.

jenkinsbrynmair 

International Beekeeper of Mystery
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Too many - but not nearly enough
That's not optimistic, it's pessimistic.
Not at all - it's realistic. Although I've seen queens mated and laying within days/a week or two of emergence, the reality is, I would not even bother checking a nuc until four weeks after a queen was due to emerge, and even then I wouldn't be downhearted on seeing no eggs.

robmort 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Bees don't work with a gregorian calendar - they operate in real bee time which contains far more variables. :)
Shock news!
Still doesn't alter the fact that 3 weeks is pessimistic especially in this weather.

Latest posts