Unmated Queen?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Honeypi

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Our hive was getting ready to swarm about 6 weeks ago so we did an artificial swarm (didn't stop them swarming, but that's by the by).

Just had our first look in the hive which we left a single queen cell in and found the queen. But there was no brood, open or capped. As we had a great April, when we did the AS, and then a terrible May, I'm guessing she hasn't mated. Are there any other possibilities?

I'd noticed that the hive wasn't as active as the other and suspected this might be the case so I'd put the inspection board in a few days earlier. To confuse things further, I had a look at the board after the inspection and there were eggs on it! I took some photos at the time but they haven't come out.

Any ideas? Our current plan is just to inspect again next week and hope for the best.

A frame with eggs might give an indication if they draw queen cells!

A frame with eggs might give an indication if they draw queen cells!
Would do but, the hive with the original queen swarmed as well so we're leaving that alone to give the queen time to get mated. No eggs available at the moment!

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Give it one more week, start trying to find someone with a frame of eggs or consider buying in a queen. They are readily available now.
E

Give it one more week, start trying to find someone with a frame of eggs or consider buying in a queen. They are readily available now.
E

:iagree: I suggest you do it sooner rather than later. Currently queens round me are going for £20 collected - well worth it to get a colony going before the end of the season slows them down ready for winter.

Latest posts

Back