Unknown plant

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DulwichGnome

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Other
Number of Hives
8 & 5 nucs all Rose
Not sure what this plant is but it's just come into flower but the bees go for it.

Any ideas?:cheers2:

Mike.

It's the Orange Butterfly Bush which is a member of the Buddleia family (Buddleia Globosa Hope)

Excellent for both butterflies and bees.

Hope that helps!

:)

correct for ten points wpc.

its a buddlia globsa, the reason why its of interest to use, is beacause normal buddlia has a long flower and as such unable to supply nector to honey bees unless they learn to bite the base of the flower and go through the side. so i plant this stuff every where i can its not quite as hardy or vigorus as normal purple buddlia but it better for the girls

correct for ten points wpc.

so i plant this stuff every where i can its not quite as hardy or vigorus as normal purple buddlia but it better for the girls

Thanks folks, another mystery solved.

Pete, how is it best to plant if someone wanted it? Mine has been in the garden for 20 years and I have to cut it right back very season (not until it has flowered mind)

Mike.

Honeybees don't go for the common or garden variety of Buddlia, but as you've discovered they relish orange globe :).

John Wilkinson

just like the man said just normal soft wood cuttings in summer or wait until autum and what i would do is take 6 hard wood stick cuttings, ie find what looks like 6 pencil size and hardness bits of branch snip them off stick them in a deep pot water a few times each week till winter starts completly forget about them till spring, which ever one starts to leaf is going the ones that dont are dead

Hmm wonder where I can find one of those buddleas. I have seen one somewhere. At the allotment i am renting there is a bank above my patch. I was strimming it and there is the ordinary buddlea. As the allotment is going to be one of my apiaries I want to put nectar plants all round and over as much as the owners land as possible. I think he would probably appreciate a bit of colour rather than just the nettles and docks that are around at present. Those buddleas would be just right for that bank.

Hmm wonder where I can find one of those buddleas. I have seen one somewhere. At the allotment i am renting there is a bank above my patch. I was strimming it and there is the ordinary buddlea. As the allotment is going to be one of my apiaries I want to put nectar plants all round and over as much as the owners land as possible. I think he would probably appreciate a bit of colour rather than just the nettles and docks that are around at present. Those buddleas would be just right for that bank.

I'm happy to send you a few hardwood cuttings later in the year, I hack it back each year so I'll keep a few bits to give away.

Mike.

Thanks very much. I am sure they would like that sunny bank. I think I might take a few cuttings of Buddlea "Black Knight" to keep the butterflies happy.

My buddlia globsa has now stoped flowering and I am planning to cut it back soon. If any of you would lke some cuttings from it I will send them on, just donate a couple of bob to the site.

Pete, when you say wait till autumn before taking the cutting, how early can that be?

Mike.

Latest posts

Back