Uniting??

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peteinwilts

Drone Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Lots and lots
Hi Guys

I have a couple of hives that i have had swarming problems with, and believe the queens they produced may have failed\lost (no sign of eggs or queens after QC's produced a month ago)

I have given them frames of eggs and brood to keep trying, but the numbers are small, I feel it may be worth uniting them with a small colony who has succeeded in raising a queen.

In your expert opinions, hould i leave them to finish the job or should I unite them?

If uniting is called for, is there a simple ABC guide to uniting (could be worth a sticky!)

Cheers
Pete

If the numbers are small, it might be best to combine.
Easiest way with small colonies, is simply to mix the frames in together. If you take your time, ensure they are well exposed to the light, in my experience there will be no fighting.
Need to ensure that there is a hive very close to where the hive you've moved was, for all the fliers from that hive to return to.
Alternatively, put a layer of newspaper with small holes over the brood box of one hive & place the other hive over (without it's floor) & leave them to combine themselves.

As previously posted mixing TWO is dangerous. Mixing three with a perfume spray works fine.

I would use newspaper and put the Q+ colony on top. Remember to give then a start by pricking a couple of little holes with the corner of your hive tool as they cannot get through tight paper without a start.

PH

Thanks Stephen

I may need to do this at night and move them to a different location as the three hives I am thinking of are several hundred yards apart (I keep Hives in groups of 3 and 4)

As previously posted mixing TWO is dangerous. Mixing three with a perfume spray works fine.

I would use newspaper and put the Q+ colony on top. Remember to give then a start by pricking a couple of little holes with the corner of your hive tool as they cannot get through tight paper without a start.

PH

perfume spray.... I am a bloke, will aftershave do?? (joking!)

I presume something made with lemongrass oil??

also, as all hives are 14x12's, this will be the tallest hive ever! (i presume stacking them is the right thing to do!)

I use what ever perfume the better half has going as they are girls after all....

Seriously though the scent masks the pheromone and that enables the whole operation.

PH

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back