Uniting a nuc. with a full brood box

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatshark

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have a nuc. with a newly mated laying queen which I'd like to unite with a queenless colony in a standard hive. The nuc. is small and the colony is weakened having been queenless for at least 3 weeks (the hive had a virgin queen on the 16th but I think she didn't manage to return from her mating flight).

Once I'm certain the colony is queenless how should I unite them to avoid fighting and give the new queen the best chance to get established? Hooper recommends misting (water) the two frames from the nuc. with the queen in between them and inserting them into the middle of the queenless colony, again after misting.

The nuc. is a "Hedgerow Peter Special" with a fixed base, so I can't unite through a sheet of newspaper.

With thanks.

--
fatshark

Have you got a spare BB to transfer the nuc into then the news paper trick

Add a few drops of either vanilla essence or lemon grass oil to your tepid water if you're going to unite the two. Couple of light squirts to each side of each brood frame.

It works well and is a method I use frequently.

Make a board to fit the top of the nuc and strong enough to support the brood box above as this is a pretty common situation.

Then use newspaper.

PH

Latest posts

Back