Uniting 2 nucs

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
4 Hives
I have 2 nucs that I intend to unite into one full hive. Currently they are starting to run out of room, plenty of brood and plenty of nectar coming in. One nuc has just produced a charged queen cell, it has a 2021 queen that I want to get rid of prior to uniting. The other nuc has a new queen which I reared, just staring to lay.
Once condensed down into one box (14 x12), I will add a super.
Am I at risk of the nuc who made the queen cell getting the combined hive into a swarming mood? Making me need to split them back up.
Thanks.

I doubt it and as you’ll be adding additional space a head of time you should be fine. Once united also juggle any part used frames up against brood area.

I have 2 nucs that I intend to unite into one full hive. Currently they are starting to run out of room, plenty of brood and plenty of nectar coming in. One nuc has just produced a charged queen cell, it has a 2021 queen that I want to get rid of prior to uniting. The other nuc has a new queen which I reared, just staring to lay.
Once condensed down into one box (14 x12), I will add a super.
Am I at risk of the nuc who made the queen cell getting the combined hive into a swarming mood? Making me need to split them back up.
Thanks.
If you make the 2021 nuc queenless a few hours before combining it will mimic swarming

Latest posts

Back