Unite with TBH

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TBRNoTB

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Other
Number of Hives
7: 1 KTBH . 3 14x12 , 1 Long fondationless 14x12 + 2 Nat +some empty ones :(
Hi everyone
Is it possible to unite two colonies from TBHs? the newspaper method looks a none starter, so whats the solution? (don't need to do it, just wondering!)
Regards
TBRNoTB:driving:

the newspaper method looks a none starter

Why?

RAB
Are you saying it can be done? I was hoping for suggestions, not questions! were not in an exam I hope! :confused:
Regards

Of course. That is my suggestion. If you are so smart as to say it it was a non-starter I thought you might tell us why. You must have a/some reason/s. Or perhaps didn't even bother to think why not? (Sorry shouldn't ask questions).

Unite TBH

Of course. That is my suggestion. If you are so smart as to say it it was a non-starter I thought you might tell us why. You must have a/some reason/s. Or perhaps didn't even bother to think why not? (Sorry shouldn't ask questions).
Oliver
Sorry to have got off on the wrong foot, I'm new to this bee keeping lark and was hoping for less cryptic answer. Please can we revert to the original question (I'm sure listeners are on the edge of their seats) I'll say again to anyone else out there, can you unite TBH? how do you do it? none criptic answers please to TBRNoTB.
Regards etc:driving:

Hi everyone
Is it possible to unite two colonies from TBHs? the newspaper method looks a none starter, so whats the solution? (don't need to do it, just wondering!)
Regards
Phil Chandler touches on this in The Barefoot Beekeeper, point 10 under 'Hive Rotation method for artificial swarming'.
Tim

Unite TBH

Phil Chandler touches on this in The Barefoot Beekeeper, point 10 under 'Hive Rotation method for artificial swarming'.
Tim

Thank you for a prompt, helpful, none cryptic reply. Just what a Nbeek needs instead of bulls**t. Restores faith in forum members!:)
Best Regards
TBRNoTB

o90o Go easy on the new members please,some of them have not been around the forum long enough to understand every members foibles.

I think you can achieve the newspaper method with a bit of carpentery.
Your TBH should have entrances at both ends, so you can place each colony in an end with their own entrance to use. They are then divided by a follower board. You would then replace the follower board with one with a hole cut in it (for instance if used for a feeder) covered by newspaper. Or make a paper follower board by stapling a copy of the Sunday Times right across the width of the TBH. Either way each 'hive' picks up the smell of the other by the time they meet.

Hi everyone
Regards

Very simple
A take a sheet of cardboard with you and cut it to match the follower board shape. Then cut out a large hole in the centre and simply tape a sheet of newspaper over the hole (some opt to put blade cuts in the newspaper to combine the colonies quicker)

Which ever colony is being moved into the TBH is placed in without an entrance behind the cardboard follower and leave them to it for a few days to a week before you return and check they have eaten through the paper before you remove the cardboard.

Winter time tip
I have 2" thick foil backed foam insulation cut to match the follower board shape and another thinner piece to fit above the top bars.

Mike a nearly has it but my method - which works -is simpler.

Cut three holes 4 cms from the bottom of the follower board.. same diameter as entrances. Cover with newspaper.

Tear one hole slightly.. Leave one day, If nothing happening , tear another hole..

No messing around with cardboard which can leak round the edges..

And you can always seal the holes with gaffer tape on both sides when finished..

Minimal work for the lazy beekeeper..

Admin, 60 posts and new?

I actually gave it some thought and was thinking: top bar, piece(s) of newspaper, some duct tape, a few slits, put new uniting colony on the one side with the present colony on the other, paper between, remove following board and replace with a bar. Place following board other side of uniting colony, close up. Can't see why it should not work, even if done over a couple of days with an alternate entrance initially.

Only asked Why not?. If poster is too, err, busy to give any reasons, I will draw my own conclusions.

Regards, RAB

Mike a nearly has it but my method - which works -is simpler.

Cut three holes 4 cms from the bottom of the follower board.. same diameter as entrances. Cover with newspaper.

Tear one hole slightly.. Leave one day, If nothing happening , tear another hole..

No messing around with cardboard which can leak round the edges..

And you can always seal the holes with gaffer tape on both sides when finished..

Minimal work for the lazy beekeeper..

Haha, depends how rustic your hive is :smash:
Mine aren't perfectly true and square but the card board cut to match the follower works perfectly well in mine with no leakage !!
:sifone:

No need to pop back and check it each day either :p:p:p
:biggrinjester:

But seriously most of the methods given will work perfectly well.

Latest posts

Back