Unidentified insect/mite on inspection board

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BernardBlack

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Apologies if this has been brought up before.

Have read up on what these could be. Can’t find anything to match.

There are a few of these (maybe 5-10) on the inspection board each visit lately.

Red/brown in colour. Oval body shape, 8 legs. Maybe 1-2 mm in length. Fast moving.

Anyone know what they are?

NB: tried uploading photo, but can’t manage it.

Are you posting from your phone? I understand that TapaTalk resizes the images for you if you use it.

Or go to the play store or app store and search for image resizer and download one that tickles yer fancy.

Photo attached hopefully

Mite is bottom left

Attachments

• C4068693-EB22-4887-BD54-EDE5820B8A85.jpeg
    C4068693-EB22-4887-BD54-EDE5820B8A85.jpeg
    28.4 KB · Views: 64
Looks like six legs, not eight. Looks like a very small weevil type thing, but I don't know. It's def not red spider mite.

Is it Braula ? they have six legs, varroa mites have eight legs. Braula has a rounded appearance, varroa are more oval.

Sorry yes 6 legs.

I thought maybe Braula Coeca. But any pictures I’ve seen of BC don’t have the big antennae that this one has.

Could they be pollen mites?

Does look a bit like a clover mite or perhaps a red mite. But red mites attack poultry by sucking blood during the night only to retire during the day and since I doubt they would get much sustenance from honey bees I am beginning to doubt that's what they are.

Last edited:
Are they harmful to bees?

(PS. On the subject of pollen mites and Braula Coeca, and books are saying they are fairly harmless to a colony. Other than maybe being a mild irritant).

Latest posts

Back