Unexpected surprise under the swarm lure box

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Antipodes

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Inspected in a lure box today that I had precariously set up on the top of a very old tree stump remnant. The box was empty today, but for a large European queen wasp ....and a spider, who had made a couple of good webs in there. I left the lid off and went on to inspect adjacent hives ...planning to deal with the cobwebs etc. later.

A little later I noticed a Grey Shrike- thrush showing interest in the box. Re-assembling the lid on the swarm box, I noticed both the wasp and cobwebs gone, so I assume my friend the bird helped me out. Then to my surprise, I noticed one of the great songsters very close to me with a mouthful of nesting material and not moving away, clearly not too sure of the next move to make. I took a couple of little videos ...one attached...see under.
After a quick search I found their nest. Right in the hollow at the top of the old stump under my box .....now a perfect rainproof spot with nice little spy slits for them!IMG_20201025_132414562 (1).jpg
View attachment VID_20201025_132229459.mp4
IMG_20201025_132414562 (1).jpg

Latest posts

Back