Undrawn frames in brood box

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mandeville

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
In two of my hives, the bees have determinedly refused to draw out some of the foundation in the brood boxes - both colonies were A/S's done earlier in the season. There's brood on 4-5 frames at the moment, and some stores on another couple.
I've moved the frames around, still ignored them.
I thought that there might be something about the foundation that they didn't like so I've gave them fresh frames a few weeks ago, they've ignored that as well.
They've been happily drawing foundation in the supers and filling them.
They've each got one super left on which I plan to take off this week and then start feeding and treating. But as things are at the moment they haven't enough space for stores. Will they finally build it now or is it too late? Should I nadir the supers instead of extracting?

They don't need the space. The colony might not grow from here this season. Box down or stopper down to the right number of frames, removing the undrawn for now. Later in the season if conditions are right you can try feeding and putting a sheet of foundation in the brood nest as discussed elsewhere.

If the colonies are well populated then you can get away with jamming a frame in the middle of the brood and I do. But you have to judge yourself and a little feed helps failing that or as well as slip foundation in between store frames and up against frames with brood on both outer edges of the brood area

Lesson for next year. Sounds like you put supers on too early. I will super when there are 7-8 frames of brood in the BB.

I understand that stuffing an undrawn frame in the middle of the brood nest can push the half without the queen to start preparing for queen cells...it does sound like you supered too soon and it's possibly too late to sort it out now, so fingers crossed!

Each colony had two supers which were almost full when I had to do the artificial swarms, so I gave one to each half instead of feeding. Should I have left all the supers with the half with the QC and brood?

I've done swapping the undrawn frames around - to the edge of the brood nest, to the middle etc - I don't think there's anywhere I haven't tried!

I know they won't need more space for brood now. My worry is that they may not have created enough space for their winter stores, which is why I wondered if nadiring a super would be a good idea.

I know they won't need more space for brood now. My worry is that they may not have created enough space for their winter stores, which is why I wondered if nadiring a super would be a good idea.

Do that and dummy down the brood with a piece of PIR but remember to cover all raw edges with ally tape

I understand that stuffing an undrawn frame in the middle of the brood nest can push the half without the queen to start preparing for queen cells...it does sound like you supered too soon and it's possibly too late to sort it out now, so fingers crossed!

No it won’t, on a reasonable size 5 frame nuc I often remove a frame of stores to place a frame of foundation into the middle at this time of year. You are effectively forcing the queen to fill the gap and create more bees additional food can be given later or frame returned when moving up to a single brood.

Latest posts

Back