Under floor entrance plans

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's sort of what I was thinking. Just finding it hard to decide which one to go for. I was thinking a hole in the floor would be simpler but then what do you plug it with (bolt?) and could it become blocked or propolised.

The eke idea will just mean it'll take slightly longer to make and I guess you could add a opening door like entrance though.

I have drilled a hole into the side of the vertical section of the entrance with a slight upward slope. I block the horizontal section with foam, put the board in then vape through the hole. I have tried several plugs, the best was a plastic one I got as a sample from a manufacturer but when I came to order the cost of 50 was trebled as they insisted on a courier delivering rather than Royal Mail. I've had to revert to stainless steel bolts.

Last edited:
I have drilled a hole into the side of the vertical section of the entrance with a slight upward slope. I block the horizontal section with foam, put the board in then vape through the hole. I have tried several plugs, the best was a plastic one I got as a sample from a manufacturer but when I came to order the cost of 50 was trebled as they insisted on a courier delivering rather than Royal Mail. I've had to revert to stainless steel bolts.

How far back is your entrance slot?
Is there any danger that your queen might be walking about near the bottom of the frame where the nozzle is?

How far back is your entrance slot?
Is there any danger that your queen might be walking about near the bottom of the frame where the nozzle is?

My entrance is about 25mm inside the front wall of the brood box.

Latest posts

Back