Under floor entrance plans

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Exactly what a bee inspector told me, as he could see that I had already started doing it.

I had the same chat with our inspector because i leave the front of the hives to be overgrown with fern.
His comment was that everybody would be doing it soon. Lets hope they dont need to

In the days when I kept local mongrels the colonies where never very big....wasps were an annual problem regardless of entrance type.
Now I keep bees strains that produce large strong colonies and don't seem to have problems with ordinary entrances.

Its got less to do with the size of the colony than it has to do with the suitability of the hive for that colony.
Its the bee free spaces that wasps make use of. If they can find frames to feed on unhindered, thats where the problem starts.
A single brood full of bees is just as capable of defending themselves as a double brood full of bees.

Its got less to do with the size of the colony than it has to do with the suitability of the hive for that colony.
Its the bee free spaces that wasps make use of. If they can find frames to feed on unhindered, thats where the problem starts.
A single brood full of bees is just as capable of defending themselves as a double brood full of bees.
:iagree:
The forum KIA is just doing his usual fhishing for a fight.....

I have not noticed any difference as to the strain of bee in regard to its defensiveness towards wasp invasion.

:winner1st::icon_204-2:

Cheers,

As to your question of "Wonder how your pure exotic imports will cope with the Asian hornet...???" probably the same as most Apis Mellifera imported into these islands over the past ... err 10,000 years, however bringing us back ON TOPIC, an underfloor entrance (as has been discussed and shown here) may help, in as much as preventing the Asian Hornets not being able to get as near to the entrance OR at least making it easier for the Beek to add a concave wire mesh (large enough for the bees to fly through, but restrictive for the Asian Hornet).

But your suggestion (via a Jersey Beek) sounds like a good idea, thanks for tip.

Actually advice was from one of the beekeepers on the Cornish and Devon AHAT team who went over to Jersey[ at their own expense] to help the Jersey beekeepers who were asking for assistance with their Asian hornet invasion from France.

I dread to think what this next summer will bring... the Channel between france and Kent is not that wide... and the french seem have "rolled over as far as Asian Hornet nest eradication goes".... not my words,,, but the comments from one of the AHAT team.

Good excuse for an untidy apiary!

Thank you Romans for the Nettles.... but you can keep you Mediterranean bees!

:calmdown:

Last edited:

Yes, a good point well made. But in the end it does come down to strength in numbers.

Thank you Romans for the Nettles.... but you can keep you Mediterranean bees!

:calmdown:

I can collect yours when the weather permits. I'll supply the hives and replace frames and foundation so you are not out of pocket.

Underfloor entrances

Beeks, bear in mind Asian Hornets are known to lurk under hives and nip up from there to catch incoming foragers so skirts on rear and sides of space under the hive will be needed otherwise they could be having a field day at the underfloor entrance. I am told they quickly learn tricks to their advantage. They are believed to be not as thick as wasps.

Last edited:
The AH will populate this country the only question is to what degree. In terms of whether colder parts will become a natural barrier.

Statistically it will be in single digit years as the NBU only has funding for this year, there is, if you look on the BBKA website at the locations of the AHAT teams, a large swave of the country from the SW to almost the wash where the country (at the time I looked a couple of weeks ago) has no AHAT teams identified. Therefore no monitoring etc.

The Queen lays upwards of 200 and the hornet can expand territory by 40km per year.

We best get used to the idea.

Is there another link somewhere to JBM's under floor entrance plans? The one at the start of this thread gives a black screen.

What have others done re vaping? I have a sublimox and just wondering best way to incorporate some sort of inlet?

What have others done re vaping? I have a sublimox and just wondering best way to incorporate some sort of inlet?

I have drilled a hole at the back above the omf to take the nozzle
If your floor isn’t deep enough then you just have to screw an eke on to it.
It works perfectly.

Latest posts

Back