uncapped stores and low temperatures

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justme

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Other
Number of Hives
10(OSB hives)1 National
checked 2 of my colonies today, both italian. 1 on 2 OSB has 13 frames stores, 3 of pollen, 6 brood n eggs, 2 almost empty(24 total). Most of the stores are unsealed, temperature is pretty cool here at the mo. Does anyone here know the temperature below which moisture reduction/sealing is not possible?

Far as i know the bee's know when to cap it, and all i know about the Italian strain (so ive been told) they are quite lazy (no pun to the Italians amongst us :) )

Put brood frames in lower box. Put white empty combs next to walls. Then in upper box second combs next to put pollencombs. Then normal combs into middle.

Then just feed them with 1:2 syrup. Give so as they take during one week and then see how it looks like.

They cap the food when cells are full. you have not there so cold as you think.

Don.t worry. Italians are best bees in the world. They live even in polar circle.

You have quite much brood and it is better that they store and cap the food in upper box and brood may emerge downstairs in peace.
When upper box is ready, give thymol stuff to kill mites.

Last edited:
You have quite much brood and it is better that they store and cap the food in upper box and brood may emerge downstairs in peace.
When upper box is ready, give thymol stuff to kill mites.

Thanks finman, will work with the info youve given:.)

Far as i know the bee's know when to cap it, and all i know about the Italian strain (so ive been told) they are quite lazy (no pun to the Italians amongst us :) )

Thanks james, guess they do know, i was wondering whether they ever got stuck with unsealed stores with temperature too low to work.Also they appear to be greedy rather than lazy:.)

I have here 10c temp, and i feed my last hives, no problems. They do like decades before.

not sure what temperature rest of hive is but obviously brood area kept constant 34-35C so elsewhere should be a fairly decent temp.

I hive measured the winter cluster temperature by injecting didital sensor via upper entrance.it shows 23 c when brood are not present. when i disturb the cony, temp may rise upto 42 c. It takes 24 hours to return to 23c.

But keep your ventilation small when bees cap the food. They do it and it takes about 2 weeks.
They too move stores from cold peripheria to the centre into emeged brood cells.

I hive measured the winter cluster temperature by injecting didital sensor via upper entrance.it shows 23 c when brood are not present. when i disturb the cony, temp may rise upto 42 c. It takes 24 hours to return to 23c.

But keep your ventilation small when bees cap the food. They do it and it takes about 2 weeks.
They too move stores from cold peripheria to the centre into emeged brood cells.

Does that mean put varroa inserts in while capping in cool weather? (OMF floors)

Does that mean put varroa inserts in while capping in cool weather? (OMF floors)

Does that mean put varroa inserts in while capping in cool weather?

It will help a little. Depends where the capping is going on, but yes, a solid floor is slightly warmer (as in they use more winter stores when on an OMF than with a solid floor). It may well delay clustering for a few extra days. U value of inserts is probbbly a lot poorer than 20mm of wood, but it will stop draughts.

Regards, RAB

I started feeding in 4 hives tonight. It is now middnight and temp is out 4c. It goes to the frost i suppose.

Latest posts

Back