UK pledges to restore pounds and ounces as Brexit benefit

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It would end in tears .... it always does ... and now its gone under thje stairs ... pity.

Personally ... I'm inclined to delete all those posts from people who decided that it was an opportunity for a political debate and put it back where it started out and where everyone apart from a few were quite enjoying it ...
Go for it

Of course, it would have been more appropriate if @pargyle had written 20' in his last post...

Which would have meant we could say he gave the thread 1/3 °...

Sorry everyone - can we stop this or it's going to be heading for the cupboard under the stairs - it's been fun so far and it would be a pity for it to turn into another political romp .... You know who you are ~ I'm not going to pollute the thread further by quoting you ..,..

Sorry to be thick but I can't identify any political romps. The OP was 'political' in mentioning Brexit so maybe should have been smothered at birth?

Sorry to be thick but I can't identify any political romps. The OP was 'political' in mentioning Brexit so maybe should have been smothered at birth?
This thread has been heavily moderated (i.e. lots of posts deleted).
Mods: It would be useful for those late to the thread to leave markers where this has been done.

If you looked at my original post ... Dani's reply and my subsequent post it's pretty obvious what was done and why. It took me 20 minutes to clear out the political nonsense without explaining on every post what had been done ... people were warned - took no notice and it got put in the Political section - sadly - I cleaned it up and restored it as there were people who were clearly enjoying posting in response to what it was to start with ...

So as most honey labels I’ve seen have both weights anyway so what’s the problem/issue. I suppose the OP title No Change in labels would not have drawn the recent fun!

So as most honey labels I’ve seen have both weights anyway so what’s the problem/issue. I suppose the OP title No Change in labels would not have drawn the recent fun!
It seems that the problem was that being in the "Off-topic" section, some of us misunderstood and were unaware that we had a duty to keep our responses lightweight or frivolous. So we voiced opinions about the logic or otherwise and the motives for these proposed changes in legislation. That inevitably becomes political and is therefore a no-go area on the Forum, requiring prompt and comprehensive deletions. I am sorry if my emotive responses to the subject caused anyone any real distress; I will know in the future......

......me...same age...same thoughts.
We only need to look at beehive plans which are measured in inches to see how much harder that makes things now we have transitioned to metric measurements.
Luckily, you can download WBC plans in both inches and metric. I presume the same for BS hives.

The one thing that's puzzling me is - what unit of measurement should we now use to weigh Gammon?

Which Gammon?

1. Gammon | ˈɡamən | noun, a victory in backgammon (carrying a double score) in which the winner removes all their pieces before the loser has removed any. Verb [with object]: defeat (an opponent) with a gammon. ORIGIN mid 18th century: apparently from Old English gamen or gamenian (see game1), with survival of the -n ending.

2. Gammon | ˈɡamən | informal, dated noun nonsense; rubbish: ‘That's gammon,’ he said, ‘how much real money did you stump up?’. Verb [with object] hoax or deceive (someone): you're gammoning me!

What about the Dickensian version - 180 years ago, the 26 year old Charles Dickens was already using the word “gammon” to describe a large, self-satisfied, middle aged man who professes an extreme patriotism in large part to disguise his essential selfishness and corruption

What is the full title for these hives? People seem to refer to them as "National" or BS ?
British Standard National ??
It's a modified British National Hive which was included in the British Standard 1300 (1946)

Latest posts

Back