UK pledges to restore pounds and ounces as Brexit benefit

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I first started work with Woolworths in the early 1970s virtually everything came in dozens or grosses ... I can still recite how many multiple grosses up to 12 gross .... 1728 ... there was a time when I could do the same with half gross ... the reason ... boxes of stuff were in 12's and 144's but our stock books were in singles ! Made you very adept at mental arithmetic ...
...and look what happened to Woolworths

Then there’s brass threads to add to the mix .
sparkys like me were the last to go metric . I still can’t picture metric lengths.
Rule of thumb for me is 10’ which I can judge equates with 3 metres.

Our brass threads are still imperial, even the German ones for shower valves come with imperial threads lol.
Yea I'm the same I can guess feet pretty well, and meters if it's not so long I guess in 3m lengths like pipes haha

Newborn babies are weighed in Kg by the staff and recorded as such, but the new mother's are told the weight in pounds. Is that so that Granny will know if its a good size or not?:)

But seriously, can those politicians really be serious about dragging England back to Imperial ?
I dont think the younger generation have much interest in our old imperial measurements. My children certainly dont, but they are both scientists and I suppose where you work makes a difference.
I'm 62 and pretty much stopped routinely using imperial measurements when I went to secondary school many years ago.

Newborn babies are weighed in Kg by the staff and recorded as such, but the new mother's are told the weight in pounds. Is that so that Granny will know if its a good size or not?:)

But seriously, can those politicians really be serious about dragging England back to Imperial ?
I dont think the younger generation have much interest in our old imperial measurements. My children certainly dont, but they are both scientists and I suppose where you work makes a difference.
I'm 62 and pretty much stopped routinely using imperial measurements when I went to secondary school many years ago.
......me...same age...same thoughts.
We only need to look at beehive plans which are measured in inches to see how much harder that makes things now we have transitioned to metric measurements.

......me...same age...same thoughts.
We only need to look at beehive plans which are measured in inches to see how much harder that makes things now we have transitioned to metric measurements.
The old standard house brick was half a cubit long , ( 9” )
The cubit roughly equated to 18” the length of a mans fore arm !
Noah managed to make a water tight Ark using these measurements!🤣

seriously, can those politicians really be serious about dragging England back to Imperial ?
They seem determined to get us back to 'victorian values'.

The cubit roughly equated to 18” the length of a mans fore arm !
Noah managed to make a water tight Ark using these measurements!🤣
It depends - there are more than three 'standard' cubit measures. Depends which 'civilisation' you choose

Last edited by a moderator:
Sainsbury's milk comes in containers marked as "2.272 litres/4 pints"; all the legislation would do in that case is to allow it to read "4 pints/2.72 litres".
PS. Those containers are very useful, especially for measuring and mixing 2:1 syrup. :)

Sorry everyone - can we stop this or it's going to be heading for the cupboard under the stairs - it's been fun so far and it would be a pity for it to turn into another political romp .... You know who you are ~ I'm not going to pollute the thread further by quoting you ..,..

Sorry everyone - can we stop this or it's going to be heading for the cupboard under the stairs - it's been fun so far and it would be a pity for it to turn into another political romp .... You know who you are ~ I'm not going to pollute the thread further by quoting you ..,..
To inject a little apiculture into the discussion...

When I first started beekeeping and read that I needed to make up 2 to 1 syrup to see my bees into the winter, I was perplexed as to what this might mean. Was this 2 to 1 by weight; was this 2:1 by volume?

My discovery that it meant 2 lb. sugar to 1 pint of water, introduced me to the 'traditional' approach to beekeeping that is often taken in the UK.

I now make up batches of syrup from eight kilogrammes of granulated sugar in five litres of water, which just about fills up my 10 litre mixing pot.

....will do, but I'm not seeing dissenting opinions or punch-ups.................YET!!!
It would end in tears .... it always does ... and now its gone under thje stairs ... pity.

Personally ... I'm inclined to delete all those posts from people who decided that it was an opportunity for a political debate and put it back where it started out and where everyone apart from a few were quite enjoying it ...

Latest posts

Back