UK pledges to restore pounds and ounces as Brexit benefit

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So what’s 12.5kg of bakers fondant in metric😉 and does the level of hmf make any difference in price/weight

Are you casting aspersions on our American friends?🤔 😄

....they who measure their automobile engine capacities in cubic inches rather than cubic centimetres as the UK always seemed to do even before abandoning imperial measurements?

Since 1930 the inch has been defined by the BSI (sorry that is a TLA) in metric terms as 25.4mm. Boris is (at least) 91 years behind the times.

I've always had a bit of a penchant for chains, furlongs and rods ... we still use acres (which relate to furlongs and rods). What's wrong with trying to confuse the rest of the world with units of measure that we invented eons ago ?

Units of length

1 yard = 3 feet [1 yard is approximately 0.914 metres]
1 chain = 22 yards
1 chain = 100 links
1 rod = 1 perch = 1 pole = 25 links or 5.5 yards = 16 1/2 feet = 1/4 chain
1 furlong = 10 chains = 40 rods = 220 yards
1 mile = 8 furlongs = 80 chains
3 miles = 1 league
3 barleycorns = 1 inch

Units of area

1 acre = 1 chain x 1 furlong = 10 square chains = 4840 square yards
1 acre = 4 roods
1 rood = 1 furlong x 1 rod = 40 square perches or square rods = 1210 square yards
1 square perch = 1 square rod = 30.25 square yards
I remember all that stuff used to be printed on the back cover of my school exercise books back in the 60s.

We do have odd way of measuring things.
Take car tyres.
The tread width is in mm, the internal diameter fitting the wheel is in inches and the sidewall height is a % of tread width.
How did that come about ?

I remember all that stuff used to be printed on the back cover of my school exercise books back in the 60s.
When I first started work with Woolworths in the early 1970s virtually everything came in dozens or grosses ... I can still recite how many multiple grosses up to 12 gross .... 1728 ... there was a time when I could do the same with half gross ... the reason ... boxes of stuff were in 12's and 144's but our stock books were in singles ! Made you very adept at mental arithmetic ...

Indeed, a lot of products are still packed in dozens not tens - the reason ? Try making a square or oblong package out of 10 tins ... it doesn't work ... 12's .. 3 x 4 much easier to pack ! Who said metric was better ???

We do have odd way of measuring things.
Take car tyres.
The tread width is in mm, the internal diameter fitting the wheel is in inches and the sidewall height is a % of tread width.
How did that come about ?
You think that's confusing ... have a look at brick sizes .... A standard UK brick is 215 x 65 x 102.5 in mm...and with a 10mm mortar joint which still equates to the standard size in imperial but modern concrete blocks have always been in metric 75mm x 440mm x 215mm. Perverse....

A lot of Carpets are made on rolls of 12 feet width, carpet fitters measure in square yards and the carpet is sold by the square metre ... confused ? Not arf !!

You think that's confusing ... have a look at brick sizes .... A standard UK brick is 215 x 65 x 102.5 in mm...and with a 10mm mortar joint which still equates to the standard size in imperial but modern concrete blocks have always been in metric 75mm x 440mm x 215mm. Perverse....

A lot of Carpets are made on rolls of 12 feet width, carpet fitters measure in square yards and the carpet is sold by the square metre ... confused ? Not arf !!

Is that 0.5 or 8/16?

So when working in the lab I use metric. Doing building work I still use feet and inches. Go figure.

Every year people here quoting sugar syrup ratios in lbs and pints. Sugar is sold in kg.
Slow on set of dementia. I need to look up and check the conversion rates every year. Takes me bloody ages, Just tell me what 1kg of sugar converted for light syrup. Not 50 or a ton, 1.

UK Railway distances are all based on miles and chains. Weekly speed restricrions and engineering possession limits are all quotes with a commencement in miles and chains.

And the distance between the two rails on UK railways is the width of two horses back ends.

I've always had a bit of a penchant for chains, furlongs and rods ... we still use acres (which relate to furlongs and rods). What's wrong with trying to confuse the rest of the world with units of measure that we invented eons ago ?

Units of length

1 yard = 3 feet [1 yard is approximately 0.914 metres]
1 chain = 22 yards
1 chain = 100 links
1 rod = 1 perch = 1 pole = 25 links or 5.5 yards = 16 1/2 feet = 1/4 chain
1 furlong = 10 chains = 40 rods = 220 yards
1 mile = 8 furlongs = 80 chains
3 miles = 1 league
3 barleycorns = 1 inch

Units of area

1 acre = 1 chain x 1 furlong = 10 square chains = 4840 square yards
1 acre = 4 roods
1 rood = 1 furlong x 1 rod = 40 square perches or square rods = 1210 square yards
1 square perch = 1 square rod = 30.25 square yards

Yes, my allotment is the traditional 10 square perches/rods/poles
https://www.nsalg.org.uk/allotment-info/

There is nothing rational about the decimal metric system. It exists only because we (most of us) have 10 digits. Try dividing 10 by 3!
A truly rational base is 60, as used by the Babylonians. It is a highly composite, unitary perfect, abundant, semiperfect number.

Also many of the SI units are impractical in that they are too large or too small. e.g. 1 farad is a huge capacitance, most capacitors are in the pico or micro range.
So what was the imperial unit of capacitance?

And the distance between the two rails on UK railways is the width of two horses back ends.
Shire horse or Arabian stallion?

When I first started work with Woolworths in the early 1970s virtually everything came in dozens or grosses ...
Indeed, a lot of products are still packed in dozens not tens - the reason ? Try making a square or oblong package out of 10 tins ... it doesn't work ... 12's .. 3 x 4 much easier to pack ! Who said metric was better ???
Our BKA orders in bulk buys of jars from F&H.
You can have boxes of 1lb or ½lb jars by the gross or half gross.

Back