Two to a cell............????

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dewin Dwl

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Rescued a small cast, placed it in a Nuc with super frames of foundation, added a feeder and left alone. Checked last week and three frames were drawn, stores in a nice rainbow and cells all shiny ready for the Q. Looked last Sunday and there were eggs, that days the way they were so upright. Looked today expecting to see some larva. No, no larva but plenty of eggs, mainly two per cell!!

What is going on? The whole thing is tiny, super-frames remember. The 'mood' and organisation suggest a Q is functioning. The egg laying is not the usual chaos of a laying worker. Has she run out of space so is doubling up in frustration? Or has one of the workers fancied an upgrade? The worker bees are now quite old (4weeks since casting) so have they lost interest in the eggs, hence no larva?, or in making wax for more cells?

Confused and curious.

Sounds like you have a laying worker/s bee/s .. Sure someone will put me right if im wrong lol :p

noswaith da dewin dwl

the doubling up of eggs is most probably a queen geting to grips with laying(you should find the eggs in a nice orderly circle and at the bottom of the cells)
yes you should have larvae by now but im in Pen Llyn and it has been very cold at night over the past week so maby the cast (as it is small) has had to abandon most of the eggs you saw last inspection by clustering tighter to keep warm and so the eggs were chilled and thrown out.
just a thought.

Ma frenhinesau newydd yn dodwy sawl wy mewn pob cell yn eitha aml, ma'r wyau'n hela tru dydd cyn ddeor mewn i cilion fellu os neu du edrych mewn tru dydd fydd popeth yn edrych mwy arferol - fydd y gwenyn yn bwyto pob un ond un or wyau cyn yddyn nhw ddeor

Ma frenhinesau newydd yn dodwy sawl wy mewn pob cell yn eitha aml, ma'r wyau'n hela tru dydd cyn ddeor mewn i cilion fellu os neu du edrych mewn tru dydd fydd popeth yn edrych mwy arferol - fydd y gwenyn yn bwyto pob un ond un or wyau cyn yddyn nhw ddeor

Seren

Grub

Mae pethau'n dechrau mynd tamaid bach yn cyfyngedig nawr - fydd rhaid i ni fod yn garcus neu fydd y saeson yn cwyno fod ni'n rhy gyfrinachol!! :D

Ma croeso yddyn nhw gofyn am cyfieithiad ond fod croeso i ni'r cymru cyfathrebu yn ein iaith

I applaud the use of Welsh language but it is a bit naughty to use it without translation on a forum where knowledge is supposed to be shared throughout the forum for the benefit of the community - pm would be the more polite place for exclusive chat?

How very generous of you to "applaud the use of Welsh language"!
If you want a translation - ask! That is the polite thing to do, not whine about anyone having the temerity to use their native tongue and a native British tongue to boot.

How very generous of you to "applaud the use of Welsh language"!
If you want a translation - ask! That is the polite thing to do, not whine about anyone having the temerity to use their native tongue and a native British tongue to boot.

manners

No offence is intended but I reserve the right to communicate in any language I choose and I'll happily translate into my second language on request

Not offended - I neither want nor need a translation, but I still think it is inappropriate to communicate in such a way as to exclude most readers in a community forum.

Translates to:

Ma d reviled news laying eggs who I am being in each cell crookedly been rejected often ma'r eggs ' heartburn hunt wretch day before brood in I we retreated ey tasted if or black look in wretch day he will be everything looking more usual he will be the beehive crookedly s assembled each except one horses eggs before yddyn they brood

LMAO - online translators dont you just love em. P.S. love the welsh language. As a child I tried to learn it after many holidays to a remote farmhouse outside Langollen. Such brilliant memories.

ah yes, those damned horses eggs are a real problem in Wales!

Nice of you to share your thoughts on inpropriety, good behaviour and exclusivity however I think I'll choose to ignore anyone who attempts to dictate rubbish to me

Latest posts

Back