Two swarms in one day. No!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Compostcritter

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I had two swarms today within an hour of each other. By the time the second had left the original colony the first was in where it had started n the original colony. The second swarm went back within an hour of swarming

They originally swarmed six days ago, so was this the virgin queen mating?

Who knows! They do odd things sometimes, be grateful it wasn't a swarm proper.....or two!

This hot weather does seem to put them on edge

presumably you'll be inspecting for any hidden Q cells first thing tomorrow....?

Yes I will Richard. I just do not understand the behaviour. It almost seemed like one of the colonies stirred up the other to trigger them to fly also.

Has anyone else had this happen?

We seem to be having a 100% reversal of last year which was hot sunny Spring and crap Summer.....yet my bees persisted in swarming last July in all that monotonous rain but this year they're as good as gold!
Doesn't answer your question./... we just have to try and "manage" their behaviour..

If it's a mated Q you can always put an extra Q excluder between the broodbox and floor.....but only for a week or so as it also traps the drones.

good luck

richard

Latest posts

Back