two questions

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bcrazy

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Number of Hives
nil bees given away all colonies
Hi members,
I have two questions i would like answered please.
One. How do i stop the bees building brace comb on the inside glass of the observation hive?

Two. Can anyone name thie plant?

Thanks all.

1. a smear of vasoline
2. I dont know

Thank you mbc i will do that tomorrow.
As for the plant the flower heads are small with the opening just like an orchid opening but much smaller with yellow anthers showing. The bee Bumble as well as honey just seem to hover and suck out the nectar. I have not seen any pollen being collected.

Vaseline or maybe silicon spray (like used to keep candle moulds free and easy from sticking wax)

No idea on the plant though sorry.

CB

Thanks CB I must admit i have not seen the plant before this but it attracts the bees.
Thanks anyway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcrazy
Hi members,
How do i stop the bees building brace comb on the inside glass of the observation hive?

Use proper bee spacing

Comments like that i can do without thanks.

Use proper bee spacing

A perfectly sensible reply, with a less than sensible reply. One might ask whether this is a single frame observation hive or a full colony observation hive.

Either way the bee space will be important. If there is nobody else out there that knows that frames do come in different widths (spacing for the beginners) and that may be making a difference, I am surprised. Due thought should be given to the post and not dismissed, as it was.

RAB

Well like it or not it's a valid and correct answer. Bees build wax for a reason, failure to maintain correct bee space is probably by far the most common cause of stray wax building in movable frame hives. Another way to address the problem is to drastically reduce the spare time of potential wax builders in the hive by giving them something to do. Use a frame of foundation or a starter strip.

Another suggestion you 'could probably do without' was a timer controlled valve that alternately directed hot caustic soda dribbled from a spray bar such that it runs down the surface of the glass, turning the brace comb wax into soap and then you switch to hot water for a period of time and wash the soap away. At the bottom of the hive the residue accumulates in a tank and you bottle this in expensive containers to sell to the blue rinse brigade as a natural product 'direct from the hive'. :)

Another suggestion you 'could probably do without' was a timer controlled valve that alternately directed hot caustic soda dribbled from a spray bar such that it runs down the surface of the glass, turning the brace comb wax into soap and then you switch to hot water for a period of time and wash the soap away. At the bottom of the hive the residue accumulates in a tank and you bottle this in expensive containers to sell to the blue rinse brigade as a natural product 'direct from the hive'. :)[/QUOTE]

What a great idea! I'm off to my workshop.:hurray:

OK guys bee space is and would help if applicable. but building an observation hive with all the inside measurements trying to accommodate the bee space is no easy job. So I think that its only one small area of brace come then its quite acceptable.
I will try and sort our tomorrow.

And finally thank you all for the accusatorial advice!

Mo

I think the vasaline advice makes sense, we will be having an observation window in one of our hives hopefully so this has been a useful thread...thanks Mo :)

With regards to the plant, are the buds very dusty with pollen. I am sure I've seen this somewhere before, I just can't place it......memory started to go when the children came along lol

Back