Two questions....

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Floss

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
May I ask....

a) how long one should leave fondant on for?

b) one of my hives is showing tan coloured streaks/spots around entrance this week. Few dead bees but not hundreds. I have not looked inside this year - too cold I think yet.

Could this be dysentry/Nosema and if so, should I treat now with Fumidil or should I get diagnosis? (Books give conflicting advice!!)

Many thanks

Floss

Hi Floss

You can leave the fondant on for as long as you like or the bees take it all down, if it's not well wrapped or been on for a while then it may dry out and be less appealing to the bees(a quick spay or dip in water)

Streaks on the hive can be a sign of Nosema, but equally at this time of year most hives have a splattering if you look close enough, it's normally a question of quantity!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Once the weather warms a bit bees will readily take a little syrup, you could even try something like Vita Gold applied direct like oxalic.

Regards Ian

Many thanks Ian, thats helpful.

My gut feeling is that this one hive is struggling more than the other but I will take a look when it is a bit warmer. The streaks are quite, er "dense"!

I like the idea of a "tonic". This hive does have fondant on but feels lighter than the other when I heft.

Cheers, Floss

Latest posts

Back