Two queens question..

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KittyB

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I have my oldest colony in a long hive that I built a few years ago. The bees seem to love the long hive and have superceded a couple of times. I have never re-queened this particular colony, I just let them decide.
On May 14th I noticed that there were two queens in residence, and assumed the older, marked queen would peg it in a week or so, leaving her daughter to take over.
I checked yesterday and both queens are still in residence, on adjacent frames. The colony is doing well and they are calm, happy bees.
Has anyone else experienced this?

I have my oldest colony in a long hive that I built a few years ago. The bees seem to love the long hive and have superceded a couple of times. I have never re-queened this particular colony, I just let them decide.
On May 14th I noticed that there were two queens in residence, and assumed the older, marked queen would peg it in a week or so, leaving her daughter to take over.
I checked yesterday and both queens are still in residence, on adjacent frames. The colony is doing well and they are calm, happy bees.
Has anyone else experienced this?
It's not unusual following a supercedure.

Happens more often than you think. I once had three queens in residence in one hive and I believe Murray McGregor reported as many as five in one colony.
Wowzer, that's amazing. I know it's standard to have two queens for a while after supercedure, but wanted to know how long they might both be in residence. I guess I will have to wait and see :)

Back