Two queens in hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonnyPicklechin

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
20 odd
Got an average sized national with no super yet that had a NUC A/S...this being the original site and left witha QC. Found two queens in there.
Left a week to see if one would prevail and they are still both in there. However it looks like there are two supercedure cells. Anyone seen this before?
Could the colony be unhappy with the pair of them?

Multiple queens in hives happens a lot more often than you think.
The average beekeeper opens up, searches for the white/yellow/red whatever dot, finds it then stops looking.
I've had three generations of queens happily coexisting, I think Murray McGregor has had five!

Indeed. I sort of knew the phenomenon was "not uncommon" which is why I left them. I guess my real question is over the supercedure cells. If that had been observed by anyone? I was thinking to let them go with the cells with one of the queens and make an increase with the other....

Last edited:
Indeed. I sort of knew the phenomenon was "not uncommon" which is why I left them. I guess my real question is over the supercedure cells. If that had been observed be anyone? I was thinking to let them go with the cells with one of the queens and make an increase with the other....
I've successfully used them (as you suggest) for increase. They'll probably make another one after you take one.

Latest posts

Back