• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Beekeeping Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Two overwintered colonies in National brood box and super, Lincolnshire.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
For sale, 2 overwintered colonies including cedar National brood box and super.

2019 queen - £225
2020 queen - £250

Free delivery within 25 miles of Horncastle, Lincolnshire. If you are local come and inspect them yourself.

Selling for a friend who "only wants 2 colonies". :rolleyes:

Each colony consists of roof, crownboard, super, 12 drawn SN4 Hoffman-spaced super frames, brood box, DN4 Hoffman-spaced brood frames (mostly drawn, see below), solid floor. Boxes and frames are all Thorne cedar 2nds. (Stands in photo not included.)

DSCF2856-small.jpgDSCF2854-small.jpg

Inspected today, 29/03/2021. Each colony BIAS, brood on 3 frames across brood box and super. This is how they have over wintered on their own stores.

DSCF2846-small.jpgDSCF2851-small.jpg

Both queens are local open-mated mongrels. The colonies are mother and daughter. The mother (open mated June 2019 was hived as a prime swarm in May 2020. The daughter was open mated in July 2020 (better brood pattern in first image) after an artificial swarm.
I gave my friend their first colony. These bees are calm to handle, produce a moderate honey crop (tho' nothing is guaranteed) and are frugal over-wintering. The mother colony was inspected in May 2020 by the local SBI. No foul brood has been reported to my knowledge in the area.

Photo of queen from June 2020.
DSCF20200613-65-CADD.jpg

Post or message me with any questions..
. . . . . Ben

Attachments

• DSCF2851-small.jpg
    DSCF2851-small.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
The 2020 queen colony, the 2 outer frames in the brood box are foundation, not drawn out.
The 2019 queen colony, 4 of the outer brood box frames are not drawn.

Varroa treatment: Both colonies were treated using oxalic acid dribble method on 10th December 2020 *edit*

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back