Two hives stolen Malmesbury

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Somerford

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Wiltshire, Somerset, S Glos & S Oxfordshire
Hive Type
National
A new beekeeper has had a couple of National hives taken from near Malmesbury - this was forwarded to me this week. Strangely only the middle two of a row of 6 or 7 were taken.

Anyone local keep your eyes and ears peeled

A new beekeeper has had a couple of National hives taken from near Malmesbury - this was forwarded to me this week. Strangely only the middle two of a row of 6 or 7 were taken.

Anyone local keep your eyes and ears peeled
I was wondering if there were any photos of the hives?

The middle hives are likely to be the strongest.
Not that helps.

The are at least a handful of police officers on the forum so I'm hoping one may be able to please advise if there any particular reason why a photo of the stolen hives would not be circulated...presuming there is a photo? There is something in the back of my mind about why they might not do that.....

Last edited:
The are at least a handful of police officers on the forum so I'm hoping one may be able to please advise if there any particular reason why a photo of the stolen hives would not be circulated...presuming there is a photo? There is something in the back of my mind about why they might not do that.....
I believe that photos taken with devices such as mobile phones have the location of the photo tied into the data that forms part of the photo. I think that it is possible to turn this off, but how many people are aware of that?

I am in the habit of taking a photo of the hives in an apiary as the last thing I do before I leave, making sure I have a few close-ups to show the location of my registration number brand on the boxes, the lids and floors, showing colours and their characteristics.

I believe that photos taken with devices such as mobile phones have the location of the photo tied into the data that forms part of the photo.
It is easy but I don’t think there’s a default option. You have to do it for every photo individually

I use poly hives and now write my name and phone number on the inside of each box with a black permanent marker pen and on the underneath of each roof and on each crownboard. I also don't mind one bad tempered hive in an apiary!! Best of luck to the thieves on that one but I don't advertise which one it is!!

one beehive looks very much like another, so t's very doubtful a photo is going to help much
One of the requirements here in Victoria is that hive boxes in out-apiaries shall be branded with the registration number of the beekeeper who owns it. The requirement is that the registration number shall at least be painted, but the recommendation is that boxes shall be branded with a fire-brand.

It is easy but I don’t think there’s a default option. You have to do it for every photo individually
Turn off GPS and then the phone has no idea where it is.

EDIT: Only works on pictures you take from now onwards. Otherwise there are apps and programmes that can strip the meta data from an image.

Unlike a car respray a hive would be easy to paint / disguise to look different from the original, so photos are a bit pointless.

Unlike a car respray a hive would be easy to paint / disguise to look different from the original, so photos are a bit pointless.
Don't forget how lazy they are. I use a brand, burnt deep into the wood (frames are all branded too...some also engrave the steel emlock straps).. A series of photos takes about 20 seconds and they can be passed on to the police and posted on forums and facebook showing exactly the hives that were taken. All my hives are slightly different because of the position of the branding on the boxes, the lids themselves vary (bespoke) as do most of the boxes (a little) and the floors (some bespoke). .

:iagree:
Don't forget how lazy they are. I use a brand, burnt deep into the wood (frames are all branded too...some also engrave the steel emlock straps).. A series of photos takes about 20 seconds and they can be passed on to the police and posted on forums and facebook
It seems the general MO over here in the past is to transfer the colonies into new hives, even split the colonies into nucs (more saleable) and if the frames are marked, shook swarm the poor buggers.
Murray McGregor related a story on here a few years ago - a known local scally who regularly pilfered hives was finally collared - a search of his premises found a well used bonfire in the garden which, when sifted gave up bucketfulls of frame and hive nails.
Anything branded would definitely get that treatment.

I tend to agree with JBM (omg what have I said? 😀) that if someone is determined and systematic unless you screw the hive together and bolt it down you are not going to stop them. I think it's just a case of making it as awkward as possible to try and deter them. I spray the tops of all my frames with a stencil which would enable me to identify them in a colour that indicates their age. The thief would therefore have to shook swarm the colony or do a cut out if they really wanted to cover their tracks. Most opportunists wouldn't go to such lengths.

Edit . I just occurred to me. If they were going to do a shook swarm they are probably registered with BBKA so that would narrow down the culprits. 🤣

:iagree:

It seems the general MO over here in the past is to transfer the colonies into new hives, even split the colonies into nucs (more saleable) and if the frames are marked, shook swarm the poor buggers.
Murray McGregor related a story on here a few years ago - a known local scally who regularly pilfered hives was finally collared - a search of his premises found a well used bonfire in the garden which, when sifted gave up bucketfulls of frame and hive nails.
Anything branded would definitely get that treatment.
Sure, I've heard of that happening here too, but I'm not sure that it is the general MO.
There are two issues. Is it worth spending 20 seconds taking some photos of your hives, or is it a bit pointless? I say it is certainly not pointless for the reasons already given.
The second issue is the worth in marking and branding your hives. Definitely worth it. It's fun heating up hot metal so it's red hot and then burning it into wood for a start.
The biggest value in the theft is to retain the hive, frames and bees, so that is a great option for the thief if the owner makes that easy. I'm trying to think of an analogy. Think bicycle theft. If a thief is forced to remove and destroy everything but the wheels, it makes the operation a whole lot less attractive and likely.
Writing your name on things has been common place for a very long time. Two books sitting side by side and a thief wants to steal one. Do they choose to steal the one with your name on it, or do they steal the one that is not named?

I had 2 hives stolen a few years ago and purchased a branding iron. Branded everything including frames but as been mention already, if someone is determined enough then shaking the bees into another box isn't a big problem.
Not sure why someone would steal this time of the season rather than wait till the spring when your guaranteed of bees that are worth more and not having to feed and treat them, unless some newbie can't wait to start beekeeping.

In my second year as a beekeeper I had several hives stolen.
Not only is it extremely upsetting but it leaves you feeling angry that such a thing could happen.
I realised that the site was no longer a safe place to keep bees, so removed the colonies that were left and took them home until I had an alternative site.
Fortunately when the local farmers heard about this I had several offers of suitable and safe sites to move my bees to.
So publicise the loss as much as possible.
If you hear of anyone in this situation and you have any spare equipment maybe offer this to them.
We all have bits sitting in the shed collecting dust. It may only be part of a hive but all helps.
It sounds as if this Beekeeper still has colonies thankfully. Otherwise maybe the association could offer to add his name to the swarm collection list.

I spent months looking at sites like Ebay in the hope I would see my hives on sale.
However I realise now that those bees would have been split up and moved into nucleus hives, and all the old equipment destroyed.

One last thought is to make sure you notify your bee inspectors. They are the only people who are likely to look inside the hives next spring.
If the frames are marked they will notice.

I had 2 hives stolen a few years ago and purchased a branding iron. Branded everything including frames but as been mention already, if someone is determined enough then shaking the bees into another box isn't a big problem.
Not sure why someone would steal this time of the season rather than wait till the spring when your guaranteed of bees that are worth more and not having to feed and treat them, unless some newbie can't wait to start beekeeping.

Not necessarily a newbie.... already hearing of "Losses" !

Verse and chapter... somewhere it defines receiving

https://www.cps.gov.uk/legal-guidance/theft-act-offences
Hope they catch the |B******s|

Back