Two Hives Stolen Essex

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaleoPerson

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Two National Hives were stolen from a farm near Chelmsford Essex late Monday/early Tuesday (26th/27th April). last seen 7:00pm gone by 8:00am.

One was a Thornes seconds standard Brood box with super, the other was a Maisemore 1st quality Brood box with Thornes seconds super.

One queen marked Orange, the other Marked green with number 40 on it.

Hive stands were home made and painted green.

The picture shows the hives 'in-situ' prior to me adding supers. The hive on the far left (14x12) I had relocated on Sunday otherwise I think that would have gone as well.

This site seemed quite secure with no public footpaths, no through traffic etc. I was obviously wrong.

I will post more information should it arise.

Feeling a bit miffed about it all.

ive sad by your loss. ive spread the word that there are tea leafs about. the local farmers and beekeepers are keeping their eyes open.

sorry to hear that as we have said on hear befor they go to rob the farms to see what is about, but in you case it sounds like it was just your hives that tells me they went for them and leaveing the 14x12 i dont get but a good idea to move it as they often return thinking you will have more there.

sorry to hear that as we have said on hear befor they go to rob the farms to see what is about, but in you case it sounds like it was just your hives that tells me they went for them and leaveing the 14x12 i dont get but a good idea to move it as they often return thinking you will have more there.

He moved the 14 x 12 sunday night and they was stolen monday night. i think if there was the 14x12 there monday night, then that would have gone as well.

TB

Very sorry to hear this.....it's something that we all worry about.

Really sorry to hear this - makes my blood boil, they should be tarred & feathered! (..and have their hand chopped off too!

Maybe importing killer bees isn't such a bad idea. Looks like your loss is going to get even more common. One of the problems with so much interest in something and demand is way over supply.

Paleoperson, Did you report the theft to the Police? did they have anything useful to say?

Have not reported t the police yet as I was away from home when the theft happened (Farmer phoned me) and I have not had time to go and make the report.

I will this weekend, but I have not had any good experiences with this particular station, they always want me to report to my local station (i.e. get someone else to do the paperwork) and the replies come 8-12 weeks later.

In my mind, it is now fully written off and I am now looking forward to the good things that the rest of the year will bring :hurray:

I also appreciate very much the support from forum members who have more than restored my faith in mankind and for that I am eternally grateful.

Last edited:
They sound about as helpful as the police in my area,no help at all,in fact i don't think they could even help themselves.
Write suspected foul brood on the roofs of a couple of your hives,may deter the thieving scum.
If you ever find out who stole them ........well better not write it here.

Tell them that a witness saw the thief drive off whilst using a mobile phone and they`ll probably launch the police helicopter :)

Update

Well, Police informed and crime number issued. The officer on the desk is interested in keeping bees and will probably bee in touch regarding how to start.

The farmer wants bees back on the site as they enjoy them being there and we are discussing increased security measures and he has offered to pay fully for a replacement hive so that they can watch them again.

Not the outcome I expected for today.

Further Update

It appears I must apologise to our local police force. Whilst I do not believe that that anything will come of it. Their response has been very good.

Crime reported, but due to lack of available staff, a statement was not taken.

Within the hour, one call to arrange an appointment at any reasonable location and time I chose. A further call from another officer investigating the crime scene and requesting directions and further contact numbers.

They have actually taken it all very seriously.

My hats off to them all.

Last edited:
The cynic in me thinks it could be a case of 6thofmayitis from the Police.

Lets hope not..

Sorry to hear about the theft, but what a great responce from the farmer!!
Hope the rest of the season is good for you.

The cynic in me thinks it could be a case of 6thofmayitis from the Police.

Lets hope not..

Is there a public order party standing in your area?

Back