Two half-full supers - what did I do wrong?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Travelator

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
I often seem to end up with colonies that have two half-full supers above the queen excluder... whereas I would prefer one full super, neatly capped!

I know that there are ways of clearing the half-full supers, by putting them under the brood or above a feeder board. I also know that getting rid of the queen excluder would probably sidestep the problem.

My question is - assuming that I insist on using a queen excluder - what am I doing wrong? Putting too many supers on? Not enough? Putting them on too early or too late?

It is quite usual. The hives needs enough space but if the flow ceases, it happens.

Colect fattest frames into upper super and put the rest under brood box. Bee move the food away from cold down stairs.

As finman says .... Just take the half full ones and move the frames round so you have one whole one. The trouble is that if you put the second super on too early the bees will 'funnel' up through the middle, the warmest place, leaving the outer frames empty, don't add the second super until you have some nectar on all frames in the first one, having said that, there is nothing wrong with what you have done, most of us end up with half filled ones!
E

The guys are right. I have three almost all capped supers on one of my hives. Despite moving the outer frames in so they would fill them, they haven't quite finished filling them. But they will, and very soon and the IT'S ALL MINE....mwahahahahahahahahaha

The guys are right. I have three almost all capped supers on one of my hives. Despite moving the outer frames in so they would fill them, they haven't quite finished filling them. But they will, and very soon and the IT'S ALL MINE....mwahahahahahahahahaha

Unless it rains and they eat it all lol

As finman says .... Just take the half full ones and move the frames round so you have one whole one. The trouble is that if you put the second super on too early the bees will 'funnel' up through the middle, the warmest place, leaving the outer frames empty, don't add the second super until you have some nectar on all frames in the first one, having said that, there is nothing wrong with what you have done, most of us end up with half filled ones!
E

:iagree:

Thank you all for your encouraging replies! I shall spend some time shifting individual frames around and take comfort from the knowledge that other people are seeing the same problem.

Latest posts

Back