Twin Stocks Or Nucs?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bee-Key-Pur

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
1+
Hi
I was wondering if anyone on the forum uses National Twin stocks (brood box with a divider) instead of, or as well as Nuc boxes for queen rearing, or making splits?

I can see that there could be some advantages, i.e. if you wanted to take them into winter, all under the same roof so to speak. But I can also see a few disadvantages, i.e. when they start to build up etc.
Also, would it not be possible to use two divided boxes, one on top of the other and providing the dividers meet on the inside, the top box could then be used as a super, or to give them more stores to over winter with, insulation under the roof as per a normal hive.

Brian

Some do but to be honest I never had success with it.

I found that when ever I tried to work two or three queens in a BB one always seemed to be more attractive to the bees than the others and I ended up with one over crowded unit and two failures. Not the ideal outcome.

I decided a long time ago that it was more economical to have separate accommodation and keep the bees than to try and skimp and fail.

PH

I have also tried to overwinter twin boxes without success. Same problem ... bees drifting to the stronger colony....Individual nuc boxes for me.....although I do use the "twins" briefly for Queen introduction when stretched for equipment in the summer....

I tried is for the first time last season. It worked well as I was using it to expand from a mini nuc (Apidea) onto National frames then into National hives. I divided a standard National brood into two and made the entrances 1 front 1 rear. There was no drifting and both expanded quickly with plenty of feed and a split crown board.

Latest posts

Back