Trouble finding queen and eggs

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Northants_new

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hello, 2nd week of first hive and appreciate some advice from experienced beeks.

5 frames arrived just over a week ago. First proper inspection today since their arrival and I could not find the queen which I suppose is normal for a beginner. Same with dificulty in spotting eggs.

But I noticed 3 queen cells though.

I removed one but didn't really know for sure if I should remove all 3. If there is really no queen should I have left them to hedge my bets?

Bees were hatching from cells and the bees seem to be doing well generally.

So question is - should I remove the queen cells and assume one is there or see how it develops?

hi, not much information to go on but my advise is:-

1) if queen cell is capped then the queen has gone, not much to do at this stage. That is why there is no eggs.

2) at this late time of the year I would leave at least 2 cells, and let the bees decide which cell to choose since they know best, better than we do.

3) make yourself a cup of tea and be patient as the virgin could take up to a month to know for sure that she is laying.

Hope this helps.

ok, thanks for the advice. I find it very difficult to see eggs unless it is asunny day anyway.

Are you sure they are queen cells?

All combs have queen cell cups. Some comb has on it the remains of a queen cell, and this is especially the case if your nuc was made up using ripe queen cells.

I have just noticed what I think is a queen flying around the hive. Certainly much bigger than a worker and drone. (almost twice as large) It entered the hive twice and then left again which I thought was strange but stayed buzzing around the hive still.

I wanted to wait until tomorrow to have a look inside but now I am really eager.

I have just noticed what I think is a queen flying around the hive. Certainly much bigger than a worker and drone. (almost twice as large)

Was it yellow and black? Saw my first hornet this week. They are loud, much louder than queens.

Best bet is to 'phone your local bee club and explain your situation. If they're kind (and they usually are) they'll find a nearby member to come and have a look with you. You can usually find the number at your local library.
Steve

it was really loud. it was the noise that attracted me to it at first. but it didn't look particularly brightlyh coloured....but it did seem too big to be the queen. I'd say it was more than twice the size of a worker.

Best bet is to 'phone your local bee club and explain your situation. If they're kind (and they usually are) they'll find a nearby member to come and have a look with you. You can usually find the number at your local library.
Steve

yes, I might do that thanks. I have sent off a cheque to join so maybe that will help also!

Queens on mating flights make a lot of noise. When I used to keep bees in the garden I heard a noise from a colony that was loud and odd and ran up the garden to see a queen and her mating entourage leaving the hive.

Latest posts

Back