Tried searching but cant find answer

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tkwinston4

Field Bee
Reaction score
WBC/Smith/National/nucs in Horsham, West Sussex.
Hive Type
Smith
Number of Hives
Right i have tried to search but cant find an answer to the following question raised by a fellow beekeeper who hasn't mastered the joys of this forum yet....................................................When uncapping my OSR I found one frame that was capped one side but not the other. _ I thought oh well! and spun it all.
Now I wonder if that one side out of the 10 was not ripe enough, will it bugger up the rest of the honey! OAP act first and think later (well some do)!!! bee-smillie

possibly. the only way to know for sure is to test it using a refractometer. Sometimes beeks shake the comb - if the 'honey' falls out, it is more nectar, hence a higher water content and best not to be extracted. You can usually safely extract if they have begun closing the cells over.

you'll know soon enough if the honey starts to ferment ! In future, if not sure I'd pop it back into the hive for them to finish off / scrape back the capped side if it is osr

regards

S

'That kind of frmaes are usual and often the cells agaist wall are last filled and uncapped. If I have such frames I put it back to the hive and it will filled and capped.

Too sharp if you measure every side, can you extract it.

Back