Triangular Bee Escape Question

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The one on the left didn't make it. I had an upper exit hole and foam inside outer cover and insulated around, but I believe the moisture was too high in the hive and they got wet because of not enough ventilation. I was more worried about the cold and underestimated the amount of heat the bees generate. This year I will use a 2" shim, then Vivaldi box (with burlap to absorb moisture) and put sugar on paper directly on the frames in the 2" shim. My friends shantytown on the right made it, but he heats his during winter and used cedar chips to absorb moisture.
Here you are.
I found you this

I know moisture boards are popular in your neck of the woods but does anybody try to overwinter their bees properly insulated without top ventilation? Like this? View attachment 22119

i think there's no need to wrap it up like that because the bees cluster in the middle, not to the sides.

not sure if completely wrapped up like this , is there a danger of moisture trapped significantly? its like putting a plastic bag over your head and breathing , over time the inside will fog up even if the bottom is left open. yes/no?!

i think there's no need to wrap it up like that because the bees cluster in the middle, not to the sides.

not sure if completely wrapped up like this , is there a danger of moisture trapped significantly? its like putting a plastic bag over your head and breathing , over time the inside will fog up even if the bottom is left open. yes/no?!
I winter all my wooden hives like this. Never any significant condensation( just at the corners) on the polycarbonate crownboards. All it does is turn the wooden hives into poly ones. When I first did this I would check the tops now and again. It never got cold enough here in the Aeron valley for the bees to cluster tightly.

I winter all my wooden hives like this. Never any significant condensation( just at the corners) on the polycarbonate crownboards. All it does is turn the wooden hives into poly ones. When I first did this I would check the tops now and again. It never got cold enough here in the Aeron valley for the bees to cluster tightly.

True that once u do this it does becomes a poly hive.... :)

i got some spare celotex boards i bought for my roofs, i may cut up some spares and try cladding the sides like this and give it a go. i'm in London so possibly not ridiculously cold but we never know!

True that once u do this it does becomes a poly hive.... :)

i got some spare celotex boards i bought for my roofs, i may cut up some spares and try cladding the sides like this and give it a go. i'm in London so possibly not ridiculously cold but we never know!
If you do that make sure you keep the top better insulated than the sides.

If you do that make sure you keep the top better insulated than the sides.

noted, thanks Dani. i was thinking to make the roof entirely from celotex and held together with the alu tape.

i bought brood boxes seconds and 3rds from thorne, made my own hive floor, and thought to make simple roofs this way. i have a can of fibreglass resin maybe will paint a coat of resin over the top just so it hardens to create a "lid" similar to the tin sheet of a regular roof, to prevent water leaking in from rain/snow etc. .

regards
Joel

Latest posts

Back