Tree stump update

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockdoc

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Looks like the 'feral' colony in my tree stump have romped through winter. Large numbers of bees flying today so took the opportunity to snap a picture or two. I intend to open up the top of the stump soon (I think the nest is about an inch or two from the top), put a board with a good sized hole on top followed by brood box with drawn frames, see if queeny goes up and isolate. Let all brood emerge and then open up stump.
I'll keep you all informed on progress.

Attachments

• IMG_3817 copy.jpg
    IMG_3817 copy.jpg
    559.2 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_3814 copy.jpg
    IMG_3814 copy.jpg
    312.5 KB · Views: 144
Interestingly they had a sheet of propolis up for most of winter with only a bee space hole. About three weeks ago they began to take it down to what you see today. I wonder if that was their own version of a mouse guard!

Interestingly they had a sheet of propolis up for most of winter with only a bee space hole. About three weeks ago they began to take it down to what you see today. I wonder if that was their own version of a mouse guard!

Draught excluder.

Looks like you have solitary mortar bees in your wall - my apiary wall looks very similar

How exciting. How heavy was the 'log' to lift? Sounds like a plan. True spirit of save the bees. Keep us posted!

Sadly I didn't manage to get a photo of the prop wall. Yes, It was a very heavy log to move (took 3 of us). Come the day, I'd like to try and remove the nest as carefully as possible. I then hope to alter the log to put a proper roof on it and run it as a vertical top bar hive split into three. Might be fun to throw a swarm in and see what they do.

Brilliant project, but why can't they just stay in the log? It would be a lovely addition to your apiary, and they seem to be doing well enough in there.

I think you could definitely call yourself a natural beekeeper with that setup!

Bee envy....

Nice idea Kazz, but there is the question of disease control as they in an apiary with another 12 hives. If it works I will still be able ot keep a colony in the trunk but make it a bit more accessible by splitting it into three parts. So I'll try and keep the essence whilst making it workable.

Nice idea Kazz, but there is the question of disease control as they in an apiary with another 12 hives. If it works I will still be able ot keep a colony in the trunk but make it a bit more accessible by splitting it into three parts. So I'll try and keep the essence whilst making it workable.

Good point. It is a nice idea though. I have been watching a feral colony for a few years up in an old church spire and often wondered what they would be like. I would love the opportunity to have a look at them, but like the idea that they are doing their own thing and getting along just fine. Great pictures, I look forward to hearing about how they get on :)

Latest posts

Back