Tree identity ??

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hedgerow pete

Queen Bee
Reaction score
UK, Birmingham, Sandwell. Pork scratching Bandit c
Hive Type
National
When I out walking today I found this tree, I cant seem to think or find what it is. It is a urban street so could be anything . Does anyone want to have a go ?? I will upload a video of it on you tube later

So my guesses are either a tall Laburnum or a Robinia

Last edited:
Looks like Robinia ( false acacia ) Pete.

There Nitrogen fixing trees are`nt they ? Then there`s the more
ornamental type, "frisia" being it`s slightly prettier cousin.

Have n`t heard or read much about the nectar flow from these, in the u.k.
Yet there quite common, and i guess, capable of providing a good flow from
a few mature specimens. I`ll have too swat up on them. :cheers2:

:confused: The video has thrown me.

The bark looks wrong for False Acacia.

Was it planted by the Council, or is it self-seeded ?

Acording to "Bee Plants" by Martin Crawford it's good for pollen, nectar, honeydew and is used by Bumble Bees and flowers in June.

Mike.

Did we get to the right conclusion?

I think it could be Common Ash.

Is it a tree or bush?

Regards;

I was wondering if it is a laburum myself, as i said its urban so it was planted either by a council or council owned company so it is possible, there used to be a beautiful london plane next to it but that was blown over and removed just after it hit the floor.

Does laburnam wood have any good characteristics to it or is it of any use, I have always wanted a pole lathe and some think to turn and my tools at the allotment could do with some new handles

"The heart-wood of a laburnum may be used as a substitute for ebony or rosewood, very hard and a dark chocolate brown, with a butter-yellow sapwood."
But,
"All parts of the plant are poisonous and can be lethal if consumed in excess. "
So not much use for kids toys....

Mike.

I go along with the tree is Laburnum
As mentioned the little black seeds are poisonous.

Regards;

Does that mean your rats have gone off paracetamol Pete? I understand that laburnum is deadly to rats, particularly if it's about 3 inches in diameter, about 3 foot long and wielded by someone "built like" a brickie. I understand that they don't have to eat very much at all for it to kill them stone dead. :)

When used as an ebony substitute as the fingerboard on a violin, does that mean I shouldn't lick my fingers after playing? :puke: Maybe that's what's known as tone-wood. ie Sounds better when the violinist has croaked it. Perish the thought. :hat:

Latest posts

Back