Tree felling - bees in the way!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

malawi2854

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
My bees have been installed for a month, almost to the day, and seem to be doing well.

The hive is in my parents' garden, as it is much bigger than mine, and acts as my "out aipiary".
They've decided that the two trees to the side of my hive have to go - they are 2 massive leylandii (fully grown - none of this silly hedging business).

This poorly drawn picture may help...
hivesite.jpg

SO - the quandry is, what to do with the bees - the people who are coming to chop the trees down have "suggested", that they'd like the bees to not be bothering them when they're chopping - which I can understand!

Do I put in the entrance block for the day, and have them all cooped up in the hive all day.
OR
Do I move the hive to the other side of the garden (the other side of the gate in the picture above).

Shutting them in is easiest - but I don't know if this will be a problem for the bees.
Moving them would be the best for the bees, as they can continue to get out, but it'll take ages to shift them across the garden, going 3ft at a time (3ft or 3miles rule).

Suggestions welcome! :seeya:

Close them in while the work is being done. As long as it isnt a very hot day they should be ok. If you move the hive for the day they will fly back to where the hive was and will cause more problems as they will be looking for the hive.

So would it be OK to put the entrance block in overnight the night before the work starts, and take it back out again as soon as the work is done?

Not sure how long it is going to take a present, probably all day - so they'll probably only have a couple of hours in the evening to be out and about?
There is also the possibility they'll be back the following day to finish off - I assume I can just repeat the procedure, closing the hive up overnight again, and reopening as soon as possible the next day?

Best to fit an empty super and travelling screen to the hive first,before you block them in.......or you could very well end up with a dead colony...meltdown.

Also mist/spray them with some water through the screen a couple of times during the day if it's hot.

Last edited:
I think I would close the entrance the night before,
and maybe move them away from the Trees to prevent them getting squashed,
If poss move to somewhere out of the sun.
As soon as the trees are out of the way, then move them back and open the entrance.

I think

What steve said plus travelling screen and water spray if temperature dictates.

Thank you all very much - much appreciated.

The chopping is due to commence in a couple of weeks probably - lets just hope for cool weather!

Fortunately, on the other side of the garden there is a massive oak tree, which casts quite a large shadow throughout the day, which they can live under, which should help keep them cool.

Thanks again! :hurray:

as someone once said on this forum, moving the bees (more than 3 miles) disrupts them for a day, and as you would have to move them twice thats two days of disruption whereas with blocking the entrance, you'll have grumpy bees for a day....

Xwb

It will be interesting to hear how it goes on the day ...

:iagree: mine are as well, i think if you know there are birds nesting it is against the law to chop them down.

:iagree: mine are as well, i think if you know there are birds nesting it is against the law to chop them down.

Correct. The tree surgeons should be well aware of this and should be checking.
Any responsible tree surgeon would refuse to chop them down until the autumn/winter.

On another note; what's a travelling screen? :driving:

Hi TK, My travelling screens are home made and consist of OMF mesh framed on all 4 sides that fits on top of the hive in place of the crown board - keeps the bees in but allows free flow of fresh air when the bees get their knickers in an uproar at being moved and being unable to get out.:seeya:

Latest posts

Back