Tree bees ( I think)

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haydee

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi all,
I have joined this forum, in the hope of getting some much needed advice.
I love bees 🐝 I go to great lengths to try and rescue any that look a little poorly around the garden. Now I have, what I think are tree bumblebees nesting in my workshop, they are small, black and orange/ ish with white bottoms. Now unfortunately the site they have chosen is in the woodwork next to my entry point, the door, which is stiff to open and vibrates and annoys the little furry beasts and they come out and dive bomb me! I have to go in and out several times a day, I don’t want to keep disturbing them but I have to get in and out! Also worried that when they reach their full capacity that they might get more aggressive, they are being quite aggressive, or maybe just stressed! It’s a shame they chose that exact spot, anywhere else would have been fine 🙄 any advice and information would be very much appreciated. Also by some weird coincidence, over the door to our art studio, which is also in an out building, and in constant daily use, a hornet seems to have taken up residence!😳 I’m guessing this is also a nest building exercise. This is in a way a lot more worrying. And again if it had chosen just about anywhere else it would have been fine, I really don’t want to hurt the hornets but will I be on with a serious problem later? I suppose this is what you get when you plant a bee friendly garden! 😉😆🐝
Cheers, 👍🐝

All I can suggest is some sort of tunnel to move the entrance along away from the doors in both scenario's.
The tree bumbles will be gone later in the summer and the hornets will go too. Obviously block holes before next year!
Sorry I can't be more helpful
E

Sounds like tree bumbles. I get loads of queries about them around this time as people start to notice nests. Often it's due to male patrolling activity outside the entrance - lots of bodies buzzing around hoping to catch any emerging queens to mate with. Once you see this activity the nest cycle is nearly over and they will start to diminish. Bombus hypnorum is an early nesting species with two broods a year in parts of the UK, first brood nests are due to finish in the coming weeks. As you have noticed they are quite sensitive to vibration. If you can bear with them a few more weeks then once you've seen no activity for a couple of weeks seal up the gap they are using.

Your wasp will be a bigger problem. Wait until you see her leave them block off any holes she's using. Depending on species she will still have time to start again. Often wasps will start a nest then abandon if the spot is not as safe or suitable so if she's one of the recently emerging species it won't scupper her chances of a successful cycle. Hope that helps.

Thanks everyone
Just a note, I know hornets are a type of wasp but it is definitely a hornet, pretty sure it’s the European, can’t tell if it’s the queen. Thing is both buildings are very rustic and there are lots of possible entry points, we have tits nesting too just along from hornet entrance. So is this likely to be the queen at this time of year?
Thanks again 👍 If I was to just leave the hornets to do their thing, is it likely that they will see me as a threat and sting me? I don’t want to spoil their lives but I don’t want to get stung? It certainly is a very scary looking beast! We’ve had a few face to face staring competitions!!😆

As much as I love hornets I'd have to say she needs deterring or at least coaxing into finding another way in. A bit more docile than other wasps but still will be defensive around the nest.

As much as I love hornets I'd have to say she needs deterring or at least coaxing into finding another way in. A bit more docile than other wasps but still will be defensive around the nest.

catch it when the nest is in the early stages and it won't do much harm to destroy the nest (just pull it down, not kill the occupants) and she will have plenty of time to find another site and build a new nest.

Hirnets

Thanks everyone
Right I’m getting the definite opinion that I should try and get her to move on! It does make me feel really mean but, if she can make another best then I suppose that’s not so bad right? She will have many other ways to get in if I block that entry but it’s worth a try 👍. I will have to set up a stake out to see when she leave, she doesn’t go in and out much! Thanks though everyone 👍

Back