Tree and shrubs

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Leaving brambles to grow is ok for some spots you're certain you won't need again. Clearing them out later without access by machinery is 'osswork! 😭
They did serve a purpose some while ago near Thorne in concealing a dumped corpse for years. The body might still be undiscovered if the brambles hadn't been cleared.
Ah well, it was just a cunning plan really. Ask for a whole list of good things with one that may be a step too far, then you should get a reply along the lines of "oh no we can't do the brambles, but the rest are okay" that way you've got 90% of what you want.

For shrubby, various mahonia but particularly Winter Sun. Flowers when not much else is and will help your bees pollinators. Also berries to help other birds and animals.

I hope not too invasive as I have planted 250 😁
Once established it spreads outwards so a hedge originally 2 feet thick will rapidly become much more. Cutting is a real chore (and painful). Plus you find blackthorn plants springing up in adjacent ground up to ten feet from the hedge. If you're going to enjoy it as a hedge/ source of forage it's high maintenance stuff. Best engage the services of someone with a tractor power flail🚜

Tricky, these days.

You're not kidding :D

I gather it's been a touch dry in your neck of the woods. It's not dissimilar here. There has been a small amount of "rain", for want of a better word, in the last few months, but it's never been enough to actually get anything wet.

James

Once established it spreads outwards so a hedge originally 2 feet thick will rapidly become much more. Cutting is a real chore (and painful). Plus you find blackthorn plants springing up in adjacent ground up to ten feet from the hedge. If you're going to enjoy it as a hedge/ source of forage it's high maintenance stuff. Best engage the services of someone with a tractor power flail🚜
Surely most native species are 'invasive'. That's how they won and keep their place in the native ecology.

That's fantastic news, let's hope we hear more of this. All the obvious choices have been mentioned already but there are a variety of Cotoneasters to choose from.
Not native, and invasive. Best left off.

Leeds council has identified the park opposite my home as a potential site for woodland planting. It's proposing a mixture of taller and shrubbier species.
I intend to respond to the notification and will suggest trees that are valuable to bees (I'm doing this for the greater good, not self-interest, you understand and will mention other pollinators).
Blackthorn will be on my list. What else do you think I could realistically suggest?
I'd propose managed rewilding. (A bit of a contradiction in terms I know, but you can make it work). Whatever grows well (and seeds well), as well as what is in the soil will come up, and you'll get an interesting and educational succession of plants ending in a self-selected wood. There will be plenty of educational discussion to be had about weeds and invasive plants, natives and non-natives. Try to get a working group of local schools to do the decision-making, under the guidance of an ecologist, perhaps.

I'd propose managed rewilding. (A bit of a contradiction in terms I know, but you can make it work). Whatever grows well (and seeds well), as well as what is in the soil will come up, and you'll get an interesting and educational succession of plants ending in a self-selected wood. There will be plenty of educational discussion to be had about weeds and invasive plants, natives and non-natives. Try to get a working group of local schools to do the decision-making, under the guidance of an ecologist, perhaps.
To give you an idea of what the council is proposing.
https://www.leeds.gov.uk/parks-and-countryside/woodland-creation

To give you an idea of what the council is proposing.
https://www.leeds.gov.uk/parks-and-countryside/woodland-creation
As well as the advatages listed, rewilding is cheaper, you don't have to water if there is a drought, and...

"The simplest way to scaling carbon capture is by encouraging our natural environment to grow, while preserving what already exists. Reforesting, rewilding or the reclamation of agricultural land will allow carbon capture on the largest scales, as will removing pollutants from our seas, lakes and oceans."
https://www.nationalgrid.com/stories/energy-explained/what-carbon-sequestration
Rewilding at least some areas seems to make good sense to me - and to ecologists... for one thing you get a great deal more varied habitat for a long long time, meaning much richer ecologies. For another natural selection is allowed to play out, meaning you tend to end up with better seed trees. And you get locally-adapted plants. Perhaps an argument for some and some?

And you can eventually turn it into a tourist attraction like Knepp
Knepp might be seen as less a tourist attraction than an educational resource and inspiration; and lets not forget, a high quality nature reserve too.

If course it is. I never intended to describe it as anything else. Attracting tourists is a good thing. I wish I was younger, richer and owned a good few acres.

Latest posts

Back