Treatment free.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hivemaker.

Queen Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Reading some of the American beekeeping forums there seems to be large numbers of them who are treatment free regards varroa.
Then all the talk about the large decline in bee numbers over there,wonder if the two could possibly be connected.....like all the one's that are treated are dying.

Last edited:
Reading some of the American beekeeping forums there seems to be large numbers of them who are treatment free regards varroa.
Then all the talk about the large decline in bee numbers over there,wonder if the two could possibly be connected.....like all the one's that are treated are dying.

so what chemicals are they treating their hives with other than thymol

The way I understand it most of them use so many chemicals that maybe the varroa treatments they use just tip the balance or appear to? Also huge amounts of chemicals are used on the land so bees pick these up as well, cannot be good.

Maybe also the ones that do not use varroa treatments also steer clear of dosing their bees with other manmade chemicals and stick to natural ones for nosema etc?

Just my thoughts, Di:.)

I read somewhere that Africanized honey bees had some varroa tolerance. I wonder if there's a connection between success for those not treating for varroa? Guess it depends on where in the US it is though!

This year Canadians reported that reason for extra dead rate of hives is propably varroa. Tthey were not able to decide accepted treatment in time when Apistan become unefficient.

in usa forum discussion is in deep conflict with univercity researhes.
Varroa tolerant beestocks have been breeded long time in many countries.
Hobby beekeepers have succeedeed in that where professionals have not. So. Who do you believe!

Last edited:
And don't forget the one that many have forgot, NOSEMA both Apis and Cerane

From what I understand, a lot of the commercial beeks regularly use medications. In addition to Thymol, there is Check Mite and Mite Away. There are probably a couple that I'm missing. I know some guys don't like to use chemicals, and prefer to use powdered sugar.

I am no scientist, but I do think there is a correlation between dying bees and overmedicating. Personaly, I believe that medicating sick bees is NOT the way to go. Why spend all the money to propagate inferior genes? Crazy! I am one of the "naturalists". I don't treat and don't plan to. If my bees get sick and die, I move on.

I think another problem is the people who want to breed bees that produce less propolis. Hmm.... Given the antibacterial properties of propolis, I'm not so sure this is a good idea. It's like all these corn growers who are genetically modifying their corn seed to repell pests and produce more kernels per ear. "Hey, Bob! That's a nice ear of corn you've got there. It tastes like crap, but you've sure got a lot of kernels on that ear!" I can see the same scenario in the beeyard. "Hey, Bob! That's a nice colony of bees you've got there. Too bad they're dying off, but at least they're propolising less!"

Some of this stuff just doesn't make sense to me.

Last edited:
Maybe more education is needed,how many beekeepers throw Thymol into their hives even if the Verroa count is low ?

Unsure if you need to treat or not ? no problem,just put a couple of packs of apiguard into the hive every autumn.

Not sure if you still have a high count in winter ? no problem just give them a dose of Oxalic acid.

No queen in the spring ? oops..

USA has special system . They collect , is it half of hives to southern territories, hundreds of hives on same fields. in warm weather bees fly but they do not find flowers. So colonies starve and became sick. That explains why other countries have not those problems.

Absolutely, Finman.
They 'use' the bees ignoring the fact that they are damaging by stress, either diet wise or by transport mismanagement. Then they moan about bee loss - :banghead:

And then the British will love it when they come to us for help as they notice our bee colonies going strong :)

Maybe more education is needed,how many beekeepers throw Thymol into their hives even if the Verroa count is low ?

Unsure if you need to treat or not ? no problem,just put a couple of packs of apiguard into the hive every autumn.

Not sure if you still have a high count in winter ? no problem just give them a dose of Oxalic acid.

No queen in the spring ? oops..

:iagree:
Un-needed treatment just doesn't make sense. It is easy to do a varroa count and treat accocrdingly. Same with nosema and acarine.

:iagree:
Un-needed treatment just doesn't make sense. It is easy to do a varroa count and treat accocrdingly. Same with nosema and acarine.

It's down to numbers !
If you nurse a couple of hives only then fine but get to nurse dozens then you simply can't .

Diphtheria was conquered by mass medication in the forties ( I was one of the fortunate ones ie inoculated before I succumbed .
Lots of child hood friends did I'm afraid .)

John Wilkinson

Last edited:
It's down to numbers !
If you nurse a couple of hives only then fine but get to nurse dozens then you simply can't .

John Wilkinson

Thats true, but you could still do a sample maybe. I would think that within an apiary site sampling one or two colonies, or a percentage, would be a good indicator?

Last edited:
In the US, the only time you will see hundreds of hives in one location is when a farmer has contracted with a beek for pollination services. Take almonds, for example. They do not self pollinate and must have a pollinator to make a crop.

I can tell you that most commercial beeks do not blindly treat. They check for mites and treat accordingly. However, I do aggree, and believe, that the overuse of medications is part of the problem. How could a living thing's own immune system (or hygienic behavior) develop if it is constantly bombarded with medications? :beatdeadhorse5:

Diphtheria was treated, (and "cured"), by vaccination, not medication, that's two completely different things that shouldn't be confused.

Chris

how many beekeepers throw Thymol into their hives even if the Verroa count is low ?

Not as many beekeepers over treat as under treat. Several beekeepers I know can't see eggs and can't see damaged wings and can't see varroa on the OMF insert. They tell me their bees haven't got varroa. I find this very annoying, particulary if their bees are anywhere near any of mine.

Diphtheria was treated, (and "cured"), by vaccination, not medication, that's two completely different things that shouldn't be confused.

Chris
Point taken ! wrong choice of words however Leave alone until only the naturally immune survived wasn't an option ;)

John Wilkinson

Point taken ! wrong choice of words however Leave alone until only the naturally immune survived wasn't an option ;)

John Wilkinson

Then again bees are simpler and have been around a lot longer than we have. :)

Back