Treatment Free

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But how did they look? With a flexible endoscope?
Me thinks this chap is telling porkies
His video showing you how to harvest honey is the stuff of nightmares.
You take the super off in the day and place it on the ground in front of the hive. In the evening the bees realise they are not in the hive and fly back home when you can then go and retrieve your honey.

I liked the tale Finman told about the Russian method with the guy dressed up in a bear suit!

You take the super off in the day and place it on the ground in front of the hive. In the evening the bees realise they are not in the hive and fly back home when you can then go and retrieve your honey.
If I did that in my apiary... by the time the evening came the super would be empty of honey and all the honey would be back in the hives ! A few years back I accidentally left a super frame I was swapping round- just a single frame ... on the top of a hive . Remembered a couple of hours later - there was a small mountain of bees on the top of the hive and the frame looked like it had been spun out !! Lesson learned.

Living in lala land a walter mitty dabbler who is a danger to bees and his neighbours

Wow! Thank you for posting that, Dani. I, like most beekeepers I'm guessing, had heard by now that it isn't the bees' haemolymph the Varroa mite is consuming - - but - - having heard, obliquely, that it was the 'fat body' I made the layman's error of thinking 'body fat'. And wow, this is soooo much worse and explains so many of the symptoms and results of heavy Varroa infestation. Thanks so much for sharing, I'll be watching this again (a few times).
This should definitely be made a STICKY
Please

“So I was call by the area bee inspector for suspected efb. On the farm were my hives and bees for pollination. And in some places. In eye shot apryes of commercial type box hives. So we first inspect the commercial hives but sadly had to destroy all but one. It to had efb. But it was treated and not destroyed. I recon it should have been burnt to.”...........:............................................very nice of the BI to let you tag along, not sure I’ve ever heard of 1 who allowed another random beekeeper to help him inspect a neighbours hives. Could you name him pls.

“So I was call by the area bee inspector for suspected efb. On the farm were my hives and bees for pollination. And in some places. In eye shot apryes of commercial type box hives. So we first inspect the commercial hives but sadly had to destroy all but one. It to had efb. But it was treated and not destroyed. I recon it should have been burnt to.”...........:............................................very nice of the BI to let you tag along, not sure I’ve ever heard of 1 who allowed another random beekeeper to help him inspect a neighbours hives. Could you name him pls.
In fact BIs won't even tell you who they have inspected let alone take you to someone's apiary. Extremely unprofessional and probably a sackable offence! Who is the SBI for Bishops Stortford area???

In fact BIs won't even tell you who they have inspect let alone take you to someone's apiary. Extremely unprofessional and probably a sackable offence! Who is the SBI for Bishops Stortford area???
It doesn’t matter. It’s all make belief.

Don't ALL imports come IN?
I think what Eric is trying to say is that the only imports allowed next year will be queens (no colonies, no packages) and all attendants have to be killed and sent, with the travelling cages to the NBU

All attendants should be sent to the NBU anyway. They aren't but that has been the guidance for years for any imported queens.
If we leave under a WTO brexit the price of bees will go up and thefts will increase.
Loads of new beekeepers won't get bees and winter losses will be harder to replace.
It will all be fine by June when the local mutts are hanging out in hedges being sold for 150 quid a time.

Default position atm is looking like no packages can be imported from Europe unless we give up our fish to the Europeans.
No fish No deal No packages.
Queens will be fine depends who you order from some already come without health certificates and vet paperwork, just arrive in the mail. No records.

If this year is anything to go by they'll have plenty of company from all those ginger bees that apparently don't swarm.
Ginger bees that don't swarm. Where can I get them from lol.

I think what Eric is trying to say is that the only imports allowed next year will be queens (no colonies, no packages) and all attendants have to be killed and sent, with the travelling cages to the NBU
LOL I couldn't make out the message among the prose. Is English not his first language? :) I can see plenty of potential for another set of rules to be thoroughly buggered up when reality gets involved and cages are opened up to separate the queen from attendants and still more if the queen has to be transferred into a sterile introduction cage. Much fun to be had by all 😂😂😂

Latest posts

Back