Treatment-Free section

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would you be interested in a dedicated Treatment-Free section

• Yes

Votes: 19 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 19 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
How come it shows only 3 views and 6 votes? Has Bidden been at work? 🤣

Edit. Ooooops it seems my system didn't show all the views!

I think it should be included as a “main stream” topic, not a sidelined topic of “special interest”.
I just think opinions/comments should be tempered when it’s being discussed.
Well theres at least two beekeepers who agree that it would be a good idea..are we going for a record.

:love: Yes please; it would allow separate, nuanced threads to be created. I think there is now a critical mass of members who have a leaning towards or a strong interest in discussing this alternative dark grey side of beekeeping.:hurray: In reality, we're all as pure as the driven snow. :angelsad2:

Last edited:
Beginners may see it and think that treatment free is only for a privileged group

Not really needed a separate sub section, currently your treatment free thread is rolling along and users can simply use the search area to find it and others.

Last edited:
There is some indication that new beekeepers disproportionately lean towards more natural approaches to beekeeping, so I doubt that the presence of a dedicated section will make them think that it is in some odd way, a privileged or experienced access area only.

It is excellent news that consideration is being given to this possibility; maybe some forum members are concerned that this gives "treatment free" some legitimacy?

But why bunker into a separate section. Hasn’t this worked?
Personally I don't think we need a separate treatment free area, it tends to coral people into a 'treatment free Ghetto' and opinions will get more polarised rather than aired, debated and discussed, I know that in the past things got pretty heated when treatment free was discussed and there was always one who would hijack the post, but in the last few months things have been pretty civilised and we have managed to sideline anyone who gets a bit too confrontational. But if that's what it takes............
And we must remember - there is a wide difference between treatment free (Which in the main seems to display responsible bee husbandry) and leavitalone bee 'keeping' I think that having a separate area may lead many to not bother entering as TF is of no interest to them which will result in a lot of sharing of knowledge being lost.

Personally I don't think we need a separate treatment free area, it tends to coral people into a 'treatment free Ghetto' and opinions will get more polarised rather than aired, debated and discussed, I know that in the past things got pretty heated when treatment free was discussed and there was always one who would hijack the post, but in the last few months things have been pretty civilised and we have managed to sideline anyone who gets a bit too confrontational. But if that's what it takes............
And we must remember - there is a wide difference between treatment free (Which in the main seems to display responsible bee husbandry) and leavitalone bee 'keeping' I think that having a separate area may lead many to not bother entering as TF is of no interest to them which will result in a lot of sharing of knowledge being lost.
:iagree:

I can't see that putting anything related to being Treatment Free in a bunker is of any great benefit ... if it is to protect those who are TF from ridicule, scorn or crticism .. well, I for one have never felt the need to be protected ... If it is to hide the fact that TF is possible from those who may be influenced by those who are TF well ... that's restrictive and I think there's often some interesting threads that follow on from TF.

The recent threads on TF have been generally well received, lots of views, lots of comments from both sides of the fence and have encouraged a few people who are already TF to come out from the shadows.
As long as threads don't develop into a brawl or other digital unpleasantness better to keep them out in the open ... I'm pretty transparent about what I do and I'm always happy to discuss, openly,, the upsides and potential downsides of TF.

If it works (and with the current members it seems to be fine) dont fix it ...

So who’s bright idea was it for a vote it’s bread and butter for the conspiracy theorists.😂can we have a recount. Stop the count!

I want a recount already!;)
I think that the number of pages that the "Treatment Fee" thread now runs to (28 within about two years) says it all. I'm sure there are some equally or more popular threads, but apart from the obvious old faithful, "What did you do in the apiary today?" I am hard-pressed to find one.
There is a case for having a dedicated section, if only to provide some clarity and a degree of indexing of the topics within the subject,
I'm sure that the idea has not been postulated under any illusion that people with a positive interest in this subject need or require some sort of protection; after all, isn't this a forum where there is never any ridicule or scorn, merely robust comments which reflect strongly-held beliefs?;)
It seems I bit odd that whilst some people are saying that it would be unfair to marginalise the subject within its own section, some of the responses given within the main section seem to be intended to imply that advocates of any form of treatment free or low intervention beekeeping either have a cheek to call themselves beekeepers or ought to be in some sort of sin-bin in any case.
Please create a section; at least try it on a possible temporary basis to try things out. This Forum sells itself on being a progressive take on beekeeping. Don't make the mistake of becoming a modified version of what you have done so well in getting away from. :hurray:

Latest posts

Back