Treatment for caught swarm

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jezd

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Other
Number of Hives
Hi,

I should know this one but I seem to have forget what the best advice was/is for treating a newly caught swarm of unknown parentage. It was caught locally and could well be a cast given I lost a swarm in the same location about 2 weeks ago (suspect it’s from a feral colony), seems fairly weak although the bee numbers looked ok – I am taking precautions in terms of keeping it isolated and want to treat as soon as possible. It was locked down for the first 36hrs and does have a sugar feed in the hive too, bees are starting to explore the new location with reduced entrance on - they maybe is shock with the wind up here :)

The hive is showing signs of life and I have checked them out but don’t plan to try and mark the queen (if she is there :confused:)for a week or so, I think the cold weather of recent days was taking its toll on them.

Anyway, treatments? thoughts welcomed.

Cheers :cheers2:

Jez

I personaly never treat them for anything at for at least till autum what is the point spending loads of pounds on this and that when i can buy a can of fly spray for £2 and that will cure all there problems, yes feed them some syrup and may be a little pollen patty if you want, but see what happens over the next few months, will they build up will a diese they are carrying flare up etc etc, keep your money in your pocket untill you are sure of what you have and wheather they are worth spending money one them

I would at least spend 20p on them and treat for varroa,at least give them a clean start,when its easy to deal with,before they have sealed brood.

Last edited:
thanks guys, just curious what the 20p treatment is ?

I think its the price for a single hive dose of Thymol crystals.

Or around £10 ready made gel from Thornes.

Thanks, maybe a silly question but if a swarm has lost a queen, what would they do? do they still function as a unit given there is no brood or any means to recovery.

Jez

Latest posts

Back